View Full Version : Rebate questions

Bruce Pelley
January 25th, 2006, 07:26 PM
The GL-2 came out around July 2002.I bought mine that September.It met with an accident(a high wind blew it over whilst on the pod) shortly thereafter which knocked out the onboard microphone jack rendering it completely useless & inoperable.Fortunately,the rest of the circuitry and functionality remained intact.It also cracked the main PCB (audio plus video board) I'm told by Canon that they estimate it would cost at least 800 to fix (400 equally for both labor and the board itself) which I think is exorbitant!!I've had the camera for just about 3.5 years and 800 plus is a lot to invest with the the GL-2 being so late in it's product cycle and also due to the fact of its present age.BTW,I took advantage of a $250 rebate way back then so I'm in Canon's database.I decided that I might as well buy a new one which would cost a little over twice the amount to repair the broken unit.Of course that factors in the $250 rebate being offered.My question is thus:

1)Will Canon/rebate center give me a second rebate on another unit bought in my name,seeing that it almost 3.5 years latter,or will I be denied?

2)Does their rebate exclude multiple units sold to the same household regardless of the amount of time that has transpired?

Anybody buy multiple units and get rebates?

The rebate is a factor in my ability to get GL-2,however I want to know the facts good or otherwise.

Thanks,
Bruce

Don Palomaki
January 25th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Read the fine print on the offer, and then calll Canon to see what answer you get. If still concerned - use your parent's/child's/brother's/etc. address

David Ennis
January 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I just read the the rebate slip on Canon's site, and the rebate offer defintely applies to every new camera purchased, not just one per individual or per household.

David L. Holmes
February 1st, 2006, 01:42 PM
If you apply for the $250.00 rebate, check the webstite of the company that is processing the rebate form, and verify the correct promotion code. I had to send quite a few e-mails back and forth because the rebate form I downloaded from Canon had the wrong promotion code! I eventually got my money, but it was the largest headache I've ever had with a mail in rebate.

Joe Strong
February 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM
If you apply for the $250.00 rebate, check the webstite of the company that is processing the rebate form, and verify the correct promotion code. I had to send quite a few e-mails back and forth because the rebate form I downloaded from Canon had the wrong promotion code! I eventually got my money, but it was the largest headache I've ever had with a mail in rebate.

Was your promotion code actually for the Elura 85/90, rather than the GL2? I just received a postcard telling me my submission was invalid.Were they able to fix the problem through emails or did you have to ring them up? Give me some guidance! heh

David L. Holmes
February 6th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Yep my rebate postcard said my submitted form and UPC symbol was invalid. This is the dreaded Elura 90 mixup. I went to the website www.rebatesHQ.com and got the internal number to call and try to correct this issue. Of course the person on the phone said that this was MY FAULT, and that I needed to resend in the correct UPC for my $50.00 rebate. After talking to a supervisor and explaining the problem was not MINE, but Canon's he said there was nothing they could do. Luckily I scanned the original rebate form and the UPC and was able to reprint a high qualitiy duplicate. With the reprinted UPC and the "correct" rebate form from Cannon, I resubmitted the form. The new rebate was valid. Good luck.

Bruce Pelley
February 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

I downloaded the standard GL-2 rebate form they have on thier website.

So,how do I know the "promotion" code on this rebate form is right or wrong because I don't know one way or the other!

Has Canon put the right one online yet so I can avoid a foul-up and save time?

You'd think they would promptly make it right!

Any additional feedback and/or directions on what specifically I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated.

What is the proper promotion code and where is the appropriate form?

I want to buy a unit in the next few days.

Thanks in advance
Bruce

Joe Strong
February 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yep my rebate postcard said my submitted form and UPC symbol was invalid. This is the dreaded Elura 90 mixup. I went to the website www.rebatesHQ.com and got the internal number to call and try to correct this issue. Of course the person on the phone said that this was MY FAULT, and that I needed to resend in the correct UPC for my $50.00 rebate. After talking to a supervisor and explaining the problem was not MINE, but Canon's he said there was nothing they could do. Luckily I scanned the original rebate form and the UPC and was able to reprint a high qualitiy duplicate. With the reprinted UPC and the "correct" rebate form from Cannon, I resubmitted the form. The new rebate was valid. Good luck.

Ay yi yi, sounds like quite a mess. When I called them the other day, the representative I spoke with was pretty pleasant and on top of things. He says he submitted an escalation to have my submission corrected to the appropriate promotion code. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Too bad I didn't have the mind to scan the UPC and serial number, just in case.

Bruce, I'd call the company handling the rebate at 1-800-665-2936 and check the promotion code from your rebate form against theirs.