View Full Version : Capture in HD from SD source?

Tony Tibbetts
January 30th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I was wondering if there was and HD (or something else) codec in FCP that would allow me to capture in HD from an SD source (i.e. DV). I do alot of tinkering with the picture in post and the image can degrade very quickly when working with a standard dv stream. I was just wondering if there was a codec I could capture to and edit with that would hold up a little better.

Shane Ross
January 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM
You can't get any better quality from DV than capturing DV/NTSC via firewire.
And the only way to capture this as HD is to get an HD capture card, and a deck with COmponent outs.

Tony Tibbetts
January 31st, 2006, 01:05 AM
Thats what I figured. 'sigh'

Nate Ford
February 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
no you can't get the source footage better than dv, but there are many codecs that hold up better to color correction than dv. going to hd seems a little ridiculous to me (unless you're going to be outputting to film or something,) since you can't create pixels where they weren't there to begin with. but you can do what a lot of people do and capture from dv, then output either uncomressed footage or footage with a less lossy standard-def codec, reimport that (big files, btw,) and do your color correction/graphics/fx stuff then. or get one of the many high-quality analog capture cards out there. (but you'd prolly want a deck with component outs., like shane said.)

doesn't the new canon camera do sdi out from dv footage? that would be cool.