View Full Version : FCP capture issue

David Carter
February 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM
Hey guys and gals,
I've just moved to a mac for editing and having never used one before its all a bit alien. Am getting the error message: "Final cut pro was unable to read the movie file just captured." when i try to capture any footage.
Anyon know what the problem is? and the solution? thanks

Shane Ross
February 3rd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Can you please explain the process you used to capture?

David Carter
February 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM
Yes, no problem. I'm capturing from a PAL DV device through firewire, routed through a Formac studio DV (have tried it direct without the studio dv device but same error occurs so this is not at fault)

File: Log and Capture.

Device control:L Firewire PAL device control with capture input at: DV PAL 48khz

Playing the tape with device control and then capturing NOW.

Fault message appears when I press escape to end capture.

thanks

Shane Ross
February 3rd, 2006, 04:16 AM
If you are capturing from a PAL DV device (What is this device?), then why are you routed thru the Formac Studio? Why not directly from the DV device? (Camera?)

If you are routing thru a converter, you need to set the DEVICE to UNCONTROLLED DEVICE, then hit capture now. Limit your captures to 10-15 min chunks.

David Carter
February 3rd, 2006, 04:35 AM
Going through the formac device was purely to keep the wires out of the way. I have tried it without this device too as I said. (I dont think this is where the problem lies to be honest, as it gives the same result whether routed through it or not.) The dv device is a newsony handycam which I'm using for playback...

Have tried your suggestions but neither have worked. Still the same fault message whether capturing 2 seconds of footage or 15 mins. I also tried the device control on firewire pal basic too but this didnt work either. Still the same problem.

David Carter
February 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
CAN ANYONE HELP? Has anyone else come across this error message before?

David Carter
February 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Aha! It WAS the formac... When I completely disconnect it (previously i was just using a different firewire port) It captures OK. Will have to resolve the formac issue as it should work but for the moment I CAN capture! Thanks for those that offered help on this, its appreciated.

Shane Ross
February 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Shane's Stock Tip Mantra: If the program was working fine, and now isn't, or just isn't working the way it should, the first things to do are:

1) Trash your FCP preferences. Download the appropriate version of FCP Rescue at http://www.pistolerapost2.com/fcprescue and run it.

2) Open the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

3) (optional) Do the Hokey Pokey and turn your self about. Results may vary.

I have never encountered this when capturing with FCP. When trying to import footage captured from another source, yes, but not FCP.