View Full Version : error message-i need help

Michael Buendia
January 12th, 2003, 09:23 PM
i went to the beach today to shoot a friend surfing. the atmosphere was somewhat moist/windy and 15 minutes into taping i got an error message indicating that i had to clean my camera's heads! this was the first 15 minutes i had rolled on this new gl2. how could the heads be dirty with less then 10 minutes of usage out of the box? could the moisture have messed with the camera? has anyone experineced this. i kept on shoooting and i saw a lot of drop out-mosaic patterns on play back. i was using fuji tapes which i have used on other gl2s in the past with out a problem. later when i got home i shot some more tape (same tape) and had no problems. what gives??????

Michael Buendia
January 12th, 2003, 09:50 PM
i read my manual and if moisture would have been the cause i would have seen a moisture warning indicator. this didn't happen. i keep on shooting and it's fine. this is so strange.

Rob Lohman
January 13th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I've heard some people say that they got their new camera
(a canon) with more or less dirty heads. I would sent it in. I'd
assume whatever is causing it is gonna be fixed under warranty!

Michael Westphal
January 13th, 2003, 10:38 PM
mbuendia4
I got the same message last summer while shooting outside on a warm humid Louisiana night. The first time I cleaned the heads and continued. The second and third times, I removed the tape and stuck it back in and continued. I've had no other trouble with the camera. Each time I got the message it was at the beginning of a shot, so all I did was delay the action a bit, and nothing was lost...

I haven't received a head-cleaning message since.

Mic

Barry van Weldam
January 14th, 2003, 03:37 AM
Just some info i came across with while surfing, maybe they are usefull ;)

1. It's wise to use only one brand of dv tapes and stick to it. It had something to do with the different kind of layers on the tapes.
2 Store your dv tapes standig-up.

Ps Could it be you bought a GL2/XM2 that had been used by the store. So maybe it has more "tape" mileage then fresh out-of-the box?

Grtz,
Barry