View Full Version : XM2 Firewire blown

Matthew Rudy Jacobs
February 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hi there,
It seems I've blown the Firewire on my XM2. I've had it since April '03 so it's out of warranty.

Does anyone know how much it's likely to cost to get it fixed by Canon?
I live near London and am currently unemployed so I can't afford more than about £200 really.

ps. this is my first post...so hello.

Steve Carter
February 16th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Matthew,

How did you blow your Firewire?

I have got a similar problem with my XM2. I managed to plug the Firewire cable the wrong way around into my PC, and now the PC will not recognise the camera.

As for cost to repair, I will let you know in a week, as I took mine into Videotech in Ashton-under-Lyne (my local repair centre as per Canon's website) yesterday, and they said there would be a 7 working day turnaround.

Matthew Rudy Jacobs
February 16th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Cheers for responding, Steve.

I don't know how mine happened.
My dad had been using it for a few days, then I got it back, shot some test footage for a short, tried to capture it...bum...

So, yeah, it doesn't get recognised by windows on any system.
Thing is, I'm sure I sent Canon technical enquiries an email about it months ago, but they never got back to me.

7 days is pretty good though.
I look forward to hearing how much it costs you (presuming it's not too much :))

Graham Bernard
February 16th, 2006, 05:23 AM
If you are near or can get to Elstree in Herts, email me and then we can phone each other - yeah?

Up to you,

Grazie

Mike Donley
February 16th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Advice I've heard on another board which has been repeated many times. Never plug in the firewire to your camera while the camera is on or the computer/editing system is on. There is potential for static electricity to be discharged which will damage the video board in the editor and also electronics in the camera. So shut down both systems before plugging in firewire.

Steve Carter
February 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Good advice Mike. I will bear that in mind for next time.

If only I had read that 2 months ago. :(

Steve Carter
March 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Just an update.

I have received the quote for the repair to my XM2. - £ 434. !!

Apparently, I need a new Main Circuit Board Assembly. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable amount to charge? The board itself is £307, plus labour plus VAT. Sounds steep to me, but at the end of the day, it's got to be repaired.

Matthew Rudy Jacobs
March 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
man...that's a lot of money.

But...on the otherhand, it's what I expected.

I guess, spending 400 pounds to fix a camera that is still worth around 1000ish second hand is probably worthwhile.

Graham Bernard
March 3rd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Just an update.

Apparently, I need a new Main Circuit Board Assembly. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable amount to charge? The board itself is £307, plus labour plus VAT. Sounds steep to me, but at the end of the day, it's got to be repaired.

Ah! Now let's see. What do you actually need the f/w port for? Just to access the tape to PC? How about a budget Cammie!??! Bet you could get a neat point and shoot for something less than 400 squids? THEN you got something for the holidays - IF you don't want to take the XM2 away with you. OR how about using the 450 quid towards a proper DV deck?

Tell you the honest truth, I barely, rarely use my XM2s f/w out/in. £450 PLUS? Betcha can do something better with the dosh?

Grazie

Graham Bernard
March 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Just an update.

Who from? Canon? Canon direct?

Grazie

Alan Craven
March 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
You need to be very careful inserting the 6 pin firewire plug - some of the sockets have rather flimsy metal surrounds and it is quite easy to push the plug in the wrong way round, especially as most sockets on computers are not exactly visible.

I avoid using my camera for capture or export at all costs. I use an old Sony DV Walkman for this, but a cheap DV camera as Graham suggests,is a low cost way of protecting your delicate XM2!

Canon Service UK not responding to a query is par for the course. There registered service agents are not much better. If you check out one of the latter it is a Co-op department store in Plymouth as I recall.

Steve Carter
March 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Some very good advice Graham & Adrian, thanks.

The repair quote was from an authorised Canon repairer who told me they didn't know what the problem was, but a new main board would fix it!!

That's a good idea about not getting it repaired at all. I was looking for a day to day camcorder anyway, so I could save myself myself some cash after all.

Cheers chaps.