View Full Version : banding displayed during playback

Terry Arnold
February 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
Realitvley new GL2 w/about 5 hrs on it. This weekend was recording a hockey match. When I went to review, there were several minutes that were recordered with what I will call visable horizontal bands. The opening scene started, but every other 'band' was frozen on the opening frame, while those that wern't frozen kept on playing. In other words, hold out four fingers a little spread out horizontaly in front of your monitor, and imagine something playing on the screen. Best way I can describe it. Lucky that this only went on for a few min, as rest of tape was ok. Any ideas?

Jimmy McKenzie
February 22nd, 2006, 08:24 PM
This could be:
1. Heads in need of cleaning.
2. Tape in need of replacement: i.e. trying to overwrite a previously used tape.
3. A symptom of clogged heads by using many (more than 1) different tape brands Try head cleaning but follow the directions. Then pick a brand and stick to it.
4. Damaged drum and record head due to age but let's hope not since this machine is so new.

My guess is item 2 above?

Leo Pepingco
February 22nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
My guess would be the same... But it could also be the heads.

What you are seeing is interlaced footage with the second field not working. in otherwords, half the camera was recording something at the time.

First change your tapes, if it happens again, it must be the head. Clean it, and if it happens again, then send it in for repair, you got a shot cam.

Don Palomaki
February 23rd, 2006, 05:48 AM
If the probolem presisted for only a short period on what was a new tape it is probably the result of a transient head clog that has cleared itself. If it is always at the exact same same spot on the tape, it was during the record phase,and that video is lost. If the locaiton drifts around during playback there is a different problem, perhaps a bad tape or some debris still on the tape.

It is likely the result of some dirt/crud/debris that found its way on to the tape heads as it was being recorded and clogged the head. It cleared because the tape continued to "clean the heads" so to speak by wearing away the clog material.

It may have been a problem introduced with the tape such as a manufacturing residue or perhaps something picked up in the environment; e.g., dust entering while changing tape.

Terry Arnold
February 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
How often should the heads be cleaned? Like after every 'x' min of taping

Leo Pepingco
February 23rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
Usually, if the camera is not in use, once every 2-3 months.

Its also good to slam that cleaning tape in before and after a days shooting. Or just before you pack it away. I makes sure that when you do shoot, you got some clean heads, and if dut got in, a clean afterwards will make sure that no dust particles call the camera home for a few days, weeks, months, or even years.

Don Palomaki
February 23rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Cleaning? People tend to do what has worked for them. Canon's recommendations are in the manual - clean when indicated by dirty head artifacts in the playback image.

Many suggest that cleaning whenever you change brands/types of tape, especially after a steady diet of one type of tape.

Consider cleaning before an important shoot.

But remember that most head cleaners are a bit abrasive and can cause accelerated head wear if used too often or too long, so cleaning every few hours may be excessive for most users and goes beyond Canon recommendations.

Keep in mind that the cleaning tape cleans the tape path (guides, drum, head, etc.) but does not clean all of the tape compartment.