View Full Version : Mythbusters uses the GL2

Matthew Elaschuk
February 23rd, 2006, 03:32 AM
So I was just watching some Mythbusters and seen that one of the cameramen was using a GL2. Pretty cool to see that especially since the show is in widescreen.

Anyone know of any other shows that use a GL2 for recording.

James Bright
February 23rd, 2006, 03:54 AM
That is a very interesting find!
Is it possible to use the GL2 for telecast purpose? Is there any programmes ever telecasted using the GL2?

Leo Pepingco
February 23rd, 2006, 04:13 AM
I belive that the Mythbusters also use the DVX100 and some bulky shoulder cam variants as well.

If you notice, the picture quality changes dramatically as it cuts to some awkward angles. If they were using 4:3 cams, then if you REALLY look carefully, the image is also streched to make it widescreen.. You'll see these shots only in the "Ok, this is what we've found out... is it busted?" Scenes

Nathaniel McInnes
February 23rd, 2006, 04:17 AM
have you ever seen alien vs preditor. you will notice that they used a gl2 while filming.

Leo Pepingco
February 23rd, 2006, 05:19 AM
have you ever seen alien vs preditor. you will notice that they used a gl2 while filming.

Thats news... Id like to know how they did it, and what shots were used with the cam... Very intersting indeed.

Robert Crawford
February 23rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
I thought I saw a familiar-looking camera in the mix.

Has anyone seen "Survivorman" on Science (I think)? They drop a survival expert out in the wilderness for a week with 50 lbs of camera gear. I've seen shots with two other cameras visible, so he's got at least three cameras with him; it would be interesting to know what they are, since there are at least two different models.

Matthew Elaschuk
February 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
I thought I saw a familiar-looking camera in the mix.

Has anyone seen "Survivorman" on Science (I think)? They drop a survival expert out in the wilderness for a week with 50 lbs of camera gear. I've seen shots with two other cameras visible, so he's got at least three cameras with him; it would be interesting to know what they are, since there are at least two different models.

Take a look at the site there's a few pictures on there. http://www.survivorman.ca/episodes.html . I cant really tell what hes using.

James Emory
February 23rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Trading Spaces on TLC sometimes used the GL-1/2 as a roving camera. My XL-1 cameras were used to shoot a Fine Living show. I have also used the PD-150/170 on TLC (Second Chance), MTV (Room Raiders) and Discovery Health (Plastic Surgery Before & After) shows and the DVX on an A&E (Intervention) show. The GL series is a great camera but just is not used as prevalently in broadcast as the Sonys and Panasonics.

Fine Living - XL-1
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42385

A&E - DVX 100a
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61083

Matt Sawyers
August 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
I happened to have my GL2 with me on a college campus one day and the CSPAN bus was there and we got to taking about cameras and I said I had a GL2 and they said that they use the Gl1 mainly for like press conferances and what not. They were like dang he uses a better camera then we use for our station. I thought that was worth a laugh

Keith Allison
August 26th, 2006, 04:59 PM
in response to 'Is it possible to use the GL2 for telecast purpose? Is there any programmes ever telecasted using the GL2?', ANY camera can be used for broadcast. Look at America's funniest home videos.. america's funniest pets and so on that ask viewers to send in footage. Heck, half the time, those videos are shot on older VHS cameras. The GL2 is an awesome camera and would look right at home on any channel (except HD channels of course).

Randall Allen
August 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I produce 2-4 hours of local content for our PEG channel each week using GL-2's. We shoot everything on location from hospitals to theaters, farms to public works facilities.

Yes the GL-2 is very good for telecasting. We even have some preliminary plans to use it for live broadcast if needed to distribute information in the event of a local emergency.

Randy

Kent Frost
August 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Thats news... Id like to know how they did it, and what shots were used with the cam... Very intersting indeed.

I think he means that one of the characters in the movie were using it in the story to "document" their expedition.