View Full Version : 24F now supported by Canopus

Chris Hurd
February 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
See http://www.canopus.com/canopus/press/whatshot.php

"Canopus has released the v3.61 update for EDIUS Pro 3, which primarily adds support for the new JVC and Canon high definition video formats, including 1080p and 720p, with editing presets for the 24fps frame rate."

The update is free; download it a trial version of Edius (for PC) from the link above.

K. Forman
March 2nd, 2006, 05:38 AM
"This update is free to all owners of EDIUS Pro 3, EDIUS Broadcast, EDIUS DVX/DVStorm XA, EDIUS NX, and EDIUS SP."

Is the Edius DVX/ DV Storm, the same as the regular DV Storm? I have the original Storm card, and I'm thinking about the H1, but with that heavy price tag, I wouldn't be able to get much else.

Chris Hurd
March 2nd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Hmm, if I were you, I'd consider setting aside about half of your budget for your editing system. HDV will require a newer, more powerful editing computer... unless you're okay with editing in standard definition for now with your current NLE.

K. Forman
March 2nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
That is the burr in my blanket, to put it in Texas-speak. My PC is actually fairly decent, but I have a hard time replacing something that still works. IF I were looking at shooting nothing but HD, yeah... I would likely need to replace a good portion of my hardware and software. But, if I end up mostly shooting SD, I can continue on my merry way as is. In theory anyways.

As it is, I usually end up shooting second cam for someone, and haven't edited anything for a client in ages. I would be more inclined to put money into some lights and batteries, where I really need it, and leave the PC as is.

Wade Spencer
March 2nd, 2006, 10:00 AM
"This update is free to all owners of EDIUS Pro 3, EDIUS Broadcast, EDIUS DVX/DVStorm XA, EDIUS NX, and EDIUS SP."

Is the Edius DVX/ DV Storm, the same as the regular DV Storm? I have the original Storm card, and I'm thinking about the H1, but with that heavy price tag, I wouldn't be able to get much else.

No....the DVStorm does not support HD. The Canopus forums have more info on what you would need.

K. Forman
March 2nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
That answered my question then. Thanks Wade.

Wade Spencer
March 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
No problem. I wish it did to somehow..lol..I heart my storm.

Randy Donato
March 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Storm will not support output to monitor of 1080/720...for that you need an Nx or Sp card. But Edius ohci will get the job done for all the HDV modes of the H1. Now if you have a Storm you can use the HDV footage in a Sd project setting and you will get Sd output to monitor out of Storm. Also Edius is due for a big upgrade with 4.0 which will be showing at NAB.

K. Forman
March 2nd, 2006, 02:02 PM
Well... It might be time to update the Storm, if I ever start doing HD.

Kevin Shaw
March 2nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
In addition to what Randy said, you can also use Edius to edit HDV footage with an SD project setting and then use the DVStorm MPEG2 encoder to output a widescreen DVD file in real time -- something no one else can do right now without a tremendous amount of processing power. This is my preferred output solution for my HDV projects at the moment, and I'm pleased to see my DVStorm continuing to be useful. DON'T DITCH YOUR DVSTORM CARD!!!

K. Forman
March 2nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
In addition to what Randy said, you can also use Edius to edit HDV footage with an SD project setting and then use the DVStorm MPEG2 encoder to output a widescreen DVD file in real time -- something no one else can do right now without a tremendous amount of processing power. This is my preferred output solution for my HDV projects at the moment, and I'm pleased to see my DVStorm continuing to be useful. DON'T DITCH YOUR DVSTORM CARD!!!
Well... Actually, I was just thinking of getting a Storm 2 maybe. Really. If I get it bundled, I can get Premiere Pro. Then, all I need is XP...

Richard Hunter
March 5th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Well... Actually, I was just thinking of getting a Storm 2 maybe. Really. If I get it bundled, I can get Premiere Pro. Then, all I need is XP...

Hi Keith. I would advise you to read up on the compatibility problems with Storm and Premiere Pro before going any further. It seems pretty clear that there is no longer any intention to make these 2 products work well together.

Richard

Randy Donato
March 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Richard is right...Do not count on using a Storm or for that matter any of the new cards with anything other than Edius.

K. Forman
March 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Man... Y'all are killin me! Fine- I'll get the XL2 then! Sheesh! I really didn't want to delve into HD, maybe play with it a little, but certainly not do it as a mainstream thing. I like the Canopus card itself, but was never overly fond of the program. What is the situation with Avid and all these funky new formats?