View Full Version : How much can I get for my GS400?

Kyle Prohaska
February 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Im not saying im going to sell my GS400 but if the time comes I want to know roughly how much it could be sold for. I got it in the beginning of Nov. so its only like 4 months old. No problems, not even 10 hours of footage. How much could I get for it?

-Kyle

Steven Davis
February 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Just do some research on Ebay to see the final pricing of them. That would give you a general market value. Other places might as well, but Ebay is a big place and might give you the best idea with little effort.

Tommy Haupfear
February 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM
The price today won't be the price tomorrow..

If I were in the market for a used GS400 I'd probably spend anywhere from $600 to $800 depending on age/condition.

Tony Tibbetts
March 1st, 2006, 08:57 PM
There may be a price spike in the next few months regarding used GS400's. A lot of people don't like the GS500 which was meant to replace it. Those looking for more manual control options may opt to buy used 400's over brand new 500's.

Robert M Wright
March 2nd, 2006, 03:27 AM
There might be a spike on the GS400s, who knows. It's my understanding as well, that a lot of folks are looking at the GS500s as something of a let down. When I've noticed, it looked like GS400s were going for close to a grand on eBay, but I really haven't paid attention. I just wouldn't consider buying one at close to that kind of price. Much rather get another GY-DV300U (full blown professional camera, 1/3" 3 chipper) for just a little more, if I ever do buy another SD camera (probably just HD cameras from here on out though).

Jeff Emery
March 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Just my take on the price for a 400. (NTSC models)

I bought brand new in October 2005 from Dbuys.com for $1048 delivered.

I sold that 400 a few weeks back during a one day auction on ebay for $1275. That was a buy it now price. Another 400 had sold the previous day for $1350. Remember those were used cams. Mine was in mint condition and I included some hoods, an extra battery, and 1 tape. (I had about $60 in the extras.)

Gs 400's seem to be hard to find and there are a lot of folks trying to get their hands on one.

What you can get... who knows? I wouldn't be surprised to hear if one in good shape brought in over $1200 or more.

Leigh Wanstead
March 14th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Hi Jeff,

Congratulations.

It is nice to hear this great news. ;-)

Regards
Leigh

Just my take on the price for a 400. (NTSC models)

I bought brand new in October 2005 from Dbuys.com for $1048 delivered.

I sold that 400 a few weeks back during a one day auction on ebay for $1275. That was a buy it now price. Another 400 had sold the previous day for $1350. Remember those were used cams. Mine was in mint condition and I included some hoods, an extra battery, and 1 tape. (I had about $60 in the extras.)

Gs 400's seem to be hard to find and there are a lot of folks trying to get their hands on one.

What you can get... who knows? I wouldn't be surprised to hear if one in good shape brought in over $1200 or more.

Kyle Prohaska
April 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
With the few being soldon Ebay and prices they are getting in the end I wondered if I should sell mine. I gave it some serious thought but recently landed on the DVX100B for my next camera. I could sell my GS400 right now but I would have to save for a while to get the DVX. Should I wait till I save just about enough then sell the GS400? I mean in another 6 months nobody will be selling one of these I dont think. Could the possible selling price of my camera go up in another 6 months if I take very good care of it? Even if its used?

-Kyle

I really want a DVX lol.

Leigh Wanstead
April 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Hi Kyle,

Why not HVX200? Just curious ;-)

Regards
Leigh
With the few being soldon Ebay and prices they are getting in the end I wondered if I should sell mine. I gave it some serious thought but recently landed on the DVX100B for my next camera. I could sell my GS400 right now but I would have to save for a while to get the DVX. Should I wait till I save just about enough then sell the GS400? I mean in another 6 months nobody will be selling one of these I dont think. Could the possible selling price of my camera go up in another 6 months if I take very good care of it? Even if its used?

-Kyle

I really want a DVX lol.

Paul Kepen
June 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know what a used GS-400 is going for today - June 24, 2006 ?

I have one with less then 25 hours on it, is a great camera, and has always performed flawlessly.

Recently I purchased a Sony HC-1, so if the GS-400 is still worth something I would sell it.

Guy Bruner
June 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Read here (http://media.pana3ccduser.com/wiki/index.php?Service%20Menu%20and%20Error%20Codes) to determine the number of hours on the heads. If you have low head usage (less than 100 hours), the body is relatively unscratched, you are including some accessories and you have a transferrable extended warranty, then you can likely get $1100 or more.

Tommy Haupfear
June 24th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Its definitely a seller's market for used GS400s and eBay will probably extract the most. I've seen recent auctions going anywhere from $1100 to almost $1600.

Its amazing how cam values can jump or drop depending on the quality of its replacement. The GS500 didn't work out so well but a well pricedd Pana equivalent to the HC1 could send those GS400 prices plummeting.

Paul Kepen
June 24th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Guy, thanks, I checked the service menu on my GS400. The VTR and CAM were all 0's. I feel stupid, but I know that at one time I new the hexidecimal format, but it eludes me right know. Mine is "00007EA7". How do I interpert this? Thank you - pk

Guy Bruner
June 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
You can use the MS calculator in Windows in scientific mode. I calculate 38.73 hours.

Paul Kepen
June 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks Guy! I sure appreciate the tremendous amount of help and info you have.

Kyle Prohaska
August 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I am upgrading my equipment and might sell my GS400 now. This is what I have

GS400
all included accessories, most of which not used
43mm UV Lens
43mm Hood
40hrs on the Cam, good condition, 3 minor knicks on it.
Original Box and Packaging.
Pair of headphones

What do you think I could get?

Paul Kepen
August 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Hi Kyle. I see you have been debating this as long as I have. My GS400 is similar, 40 hrs, all original accessories+filters, hood, etc. (but not the original box). About a month ago I went on Ebay, and saw that a brand new one in the original box went for about $1150 Australian, which I thinks is something like $850-900US. It looks like the "sweet spot" for used GS400 was this past spring. I am very fond of mine, and while I have gone the HDV route with a Sony HC-1, I am able to use the GS400 as a B camera and intermix footage with the HC-1. The two work surprisingly well together, and in Vegas its as easy mixing DV and HDV as two DV camera's. Good luck - PK

Tommy Haupfear
August 6th, 2006, 09:05 AM
A quick search for the last two weeks on eBay revealed auctions ranging from $1200-$1600 but be aware that scam-bidders prey on these large ticket items and I noticed that the majority of the auctions winners had already had their eBay membership revoked (no longer a registered user). Thats not a good sign and makes it even more difficult to gauge the exact value of the GS400.

I also think that its popularity will be on the slide with all the HDV cams and the announcement of upcoming AVCHD models. Now might be a good time to test the waters but if you go the eBay route I would put some concrete rules up front. Time spent on eBay (# of positive feedbacks) and immediate PayPal payment required are two good starts.

Good luck

Paul Kepen
August 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks Tommy. I have never attempted to sell anything on e-bay. Guess I'm probably the only one left in the world who hasn't done e-bay. How do you go about it? Doesn't e-bay insure that you don't get scammed? If not I would think it would be so prevelent that no one in their right mind would use e-bay anymore.

What ways, other then e-bay, are there to sell a GS400?

Leigh Wanstead
August 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Paul,

You are not the only one left in the world who hasn't done e-bay. ;)

Why not put an ads on your local newspaper?

Regards
Leigh

Thanks Tommy. I have never attempted to sell anything on e-bay. Guess I'm probably the only one left in the world who hasn't done e-bay. How do you go about it? Doesn't e-bay insure that you don't get scammed? If not I would think it would be so prevelent that no one in their right mind would use e-bay anymore.

What ways, other then e-bay, are there to sell a GS400?

Guy Bruner
August 6th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Your best bet, outside eBay, is to list it in the classifieds here or at other camcorder enthusiast sites. There have been three GS400 sold this week from classifieds.

Kyle Prohaska
August 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Sold it yesterday on Ebay for $1550, 300 more then I paid for it almost a year ago. Man people really want this camera and I know why but sheesh. O well XL2 here I come, :).

-Kyle

Leigh Wanstead
August 14th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Sold it yesterday on Ebay for $1550, 300 more then I paid for it almost a year ago. Man people really want this camera and I know why but sheesh. O well XL2 here I come, :).

-Kyle

Can't believe it. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
www.smootharm.com

Tommy Haupfear
August 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Wow! Thats what I got for my 1/3" 3CCD VX2000 a few months back and that set me back $2300 originally.

Good luck with the XL2!