View Full Version : Begining at End Point

Ron Edwards
March 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Lets say I shoot some tape, rewind the tape to check my footage, and want to have the cam locate the end of the last video clip to begin the next video clip. Will the GL2 do this .... and how?
Thanks!
Ron

Graham Bernard
March 3rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
Yes Ron, it will.

This is an unfortunate practice, and one I truly stay clear of. If I need to do this, this is how I do it.

1/- Have the Camera in Record Pause

2/- Press and hold the REC SEARCH + or - button ( these are located just above the LCD docking space ) while you check the picture in the display - The PLUS "+" Button is forwards and the NEGATIVE " - " Button plays it backwards

3/- Release the button when you find the point where you want to start recording. The camcorder returns to record pause.

I got this from my User's manual. You got a User's Manual? If not, I'd truly recommend you download one. It is FULL of valuable information

Best regards,

Grazie

Alan Craven
March 3rd, 2006, 02:49 AM
The method Graham describes works well enough, but I try to finish each recording session with a still photo with the lens cap on. This gives 7 seconds of black which is easier to drop on using search, and also avoids breaks in the time code.

Like Graham, I also try to avoid doing this. I suspect it is not good for either tape or transport. The tape will probably be stretched at this point.

Graham Bernard
March 3rd, 2006, 03:50 AM
Alan, I kinda can't do that.

The work I do is more Run 'n Gun and re-takes. I do something like 20sec to 1min takes. So that is about 180 down to 60 takes for a 1hour tape. Sometimes it may only be 10 secs. I'm a bit of a beast when it comes to videoing. This means I gotta just crash on - and "don't look back" ( Hmmm.. good name for a movie ). Soooo... the Lens cap thing is neat . . but I'd most likely screw things up.

Grazie

Don Palomaki
March 3rd, 2006, 05:39 AM
A simple approach is just shoot each scene a couple seconds long, and then use the REC SEARCH capability to stop on the extra length at the end. That way you also avoid having a lot of short back-of-the-lens-cap clips in any automatic capture

Alan Craven
March 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
I wasn't suggesting taping black between each clip, just at the end of a session. Most of my video is of birds, often from hides. I always shoot black before moving on from a hide, never between shots in the hide.

I try to avoid doing anyhting other than pressing that little red button.