View Full Version : Just got a new GL-2 last Tuesday

Bruce Pelley
March 5th, 2006, 01:09 AM
My question is what are my options for a carrying case that are modestly priced.Almost anything I see in Best Buy,Circuit City & the like is too small and I can't afford an expensive bag right now,not that I'll ever really need one.This unit is just too big to fit in most consumer bags.

Thanks,
Bruce

Leo Pepingco
March 5th, 2006, 01:13 AM
well, you just said it.... it wont fit in most consumer bags....

that means, you HAVE to spend a lot of money on a bag that would fit it...

If you have about 200 bucks US or AUD or P, or YEN, or whatever.... then you can get a decent sized bag....

you have to breach the 3 digit mark to get a bag that fits.

Graham Bernard
March 5th, 2006, 01:59 AM
well, you just said it.... it wont fit in most consumer bags....

that means, you HAVE to spend a lot of money on a bag that would fit it...

If you have about 200 bucks US or AUD or P, or YEN, or whatever.... then you can get a decent sized bag....

you have to breach the 3 digit mark to get a bag that fits.

Well . . . try thinking sideways. I was using a sports type bag with foam innards for staters, and as I wanted to fiond something similar for you, I got my thinking cap on. There ARE other types of bags for other trades and for modest amounts of money too:

Builder's Bags:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=110040&MAN=Kunys-Sw1168-42pkt-Roller-Bag---Codura

http://store.yahoo.com/texastooltotes/tobaandto1.html

There are some neat tote bags, I susp[ect you get some further protection using some foam? Ranges from 12 > 60 in £s or $s

.. only an idea!

Grazie

Chris Barcellos
March 5th, 2006, 02:18 AM
At Walmart they have an canvas army green shooters bag in the sporting goods section that might fit your needs. At Harbor Freight they have an assortment of aluminized cases that can be adapted. I carry my VX 2000 and my FX! in two sample cases of that ilk... I don't know what you may have there like that....

Len Imbery
March 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I read a recent article in a Video magazine....(don't recall which one) which suggested getting a "noname" type of bag....One with Canon or Sony on it is just asking to be stolen.....The article went even further to suggest using something like a diaper bag or a very ugly looking one that no-one would think of stealing!
Len
BTW....I use a Tamrac velocity 9 bag which is about the right height for the GL2 and still room for all of your other accessorys beside it....

Alan Craven
March 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM
The cheapest proper bag is probably the LowePro Nova 5, which you can buy in the UK for less than £50. From my experience of US prices, this probably equates to around $40!

I have just upgraded from this to a Portabrace CS-DV3, which cost me just over £200! I tried and failed to get one in Santa Monica when I was there a while ago.

David Ennis
March 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I use this inexpensive Vanguard hardshell case for my GL2. The diced foam interior is customizeable for a perfect fit (you tear out the unwnated foam cubes by hand to make the pockets you want). It cradles my GL2 and all the accessories, leaving them very accessible. It's compact and handsome as hell. If you don't like eBay you can find them from online sellers too.

This is the exact one I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vanguard-VGP-13s-Hard-Camera-Case-Like-VGP-13_W0QQitemZ7595977249QQcategoryZ50505QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Steve Olds
March 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Try at a sporting goods stores (Bass Pro) and look at the diff. types of bags they have for outdoor gear. Look at the duck hunting blind bags ,heavy duty and some what water proof. Downside maybe to this is that some bags are camo. I like my camo bag tho. I use mine in the outdoors alot so it works for me. My bag is padded and has several pockets for other items. But if it looks like a camera bag to others it might make it a target to steal. (Cannon, Sony) is a calling card for easy $$$$$$$$$$. Good luck Steve

Patrick Pike
March 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I had 3 GL-2's that I carried around in a small suitcase (I added foam for extra protection). It had little wheels to help me get it around, was waterproof, and cost a total of aout 25$ for three cameras worth of protection.

Now I only wish my new Z1U's fit in my case.. time for a larger suitcase.

Jay Patzschke
March 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I bought a nice samsonite hard shell case for about $90. Wheels and handle included.

I took it to a local foam supplier and he custom cut foam to fit the case.

He then cut the foam to fit each piece of equipment. Camera, Batteries (5), Light, Sound eqipment including 2 wireless mics, and extra tapes.

There are two compartments for for wires cables and other things (rolls of black tape).

There is enough room for a backup camera to be added later. I am very happy with the set up.

It is rather large but it al lfits in one unit and is ready to go.

Only problem...I just bought a Mustang and it won't fit in the trunk. I guess I'll be driving the wifes Taurus to video events.

Mark Donnell
April 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
I use a sports bag that is just small enough to fit under the seat of the airline passenger in front of me. I prefer to keep my camera with me rahter than placing it in an overhead compartment. I also always fold a clean bath towel in half and then wrap it around the camera for extra protection inside the bag.

Mark Williams
April 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
You might want to take a look at this. I have been using one for 3 years now. It has two compartments and is insulated. Comes in several sizes and is very rugged.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/92542.aspx

Regards,

Mark

Graham Bernard
April 2nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
That looks great, Mark - but where do you now put your sandwiches? - Hmmm?

It does look very good.

Grazie

Mark Williams
April 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Ah...good question. I bought 2 of them....

Quinn OConnell
April 13th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Bruce, not sure if you found a bag but i was given one of these as a birthday present from my girl..

fits my XM2 with a Letus35A - 3 Lenses - Hood, Rhode Vid Mic, Batteries, Filters, 15 Powerbook with cables, tripod etc etc etc..

Or my XM2 with stock access and my 350D SLR with 2 lenses and other stuff..

its simply one the best bags for all your equipment - and it gets on board flights..

http://www.feedthehabit.com/gear_reviews/burton_zoom_pack.html

Steven Davis
April 13th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I had 3 GL-2's that I carried around in a small suitcase (I added foam for extra protection). It had little wheels to help me get it around, was waterproof, and cost a total of aout 25$ for three cameras worth of protection.

Now I only wish my new Z1U's fit in my case.. time for a larger suitcase.

Patrick, what is your main video work? The reason I ask is that I have a Gl2 and almost dead set on my upgrade to a Z1u. I'd love to hear feed back on what you think of the upgrade.

I do event videography, along with other stuff.