View Full Version : Does the GL-2 have smearing

David Worley
March 6th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I have a cheaper Sony and it has smearing when the lens sees point light sources. Does the GL-2 get smearing. I need to buy a nicer camera without the smearing.
Thanks
David

David Worley
March 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Hi folks I really would like to get a response from some of you that have the GL-2 about smearing.

Michael Plunkett
March 6th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Welcome David Worley. I'm not a regular around here but it did notice that it doesn't work like Instant Messaging.

Smear is common.

I did this search for you while at work,

M. Green wrote last month or so: "...smear happens because CCDs need to transfer each frame off of the sensor vertically. When pixels on the CCD are overloaded by a bright subject, the overload travels with the line/frame transfer."

I have a GL-2 and don't notice any vertical smearing. But I bet it occurs.

I happen to love my GL-2. I'd buy it again.

Kevin Shaw
March 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I have a GL2 and have noticed problems with vertical smearing from bright light sources. By comparison, my Sony FX1 has much less smearing except in extreme circumstances.

David Worley
March 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM
OK thanks folks you gave me the info that I needed. I heard that the CMOS chip used on the new Sony HD camera HC1 and the A1 do not have any vertical smearing at all. Is this true?

Don Palomaki
March 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
GL2 vertical smearling is less than typical consumer camcorders, but it will happen with very intense point sources of light in the frame, especially if it is an otherwise low light scene. An example would be ball fields lights at a night game,.

Patrick Pike
March 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
OK thanks folks you gave me the info that I needed. I heard that the CMOS chip used on the new Sony HD camera HC1 and the A1 do not have any vertical smearing at all. Is this true?

I have an A1U that I tested this issue with, and there is some smearing. Not nearly as bad as CCD camera, in fact more like a "star" efffect, but still there.

Luckliy Im not filming the sun full time.