View Full Version : Canopus, green drop outs?

DJ Lewis
March 6th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Anyone else out there using Canopus? As we were capturing some test hdv 720 24p footage today, Canopus would display green blocks as if it was having trouble with the footage, but as we watched the feed from the cam to a monitor it was fine.

Any ideas what's going on or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Erik Walth
March 7th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Had the same problem the other day on my labtop. The takes were also split up in many small bits a well. First time I have seen this. Edited before with no problems on the same labtop.
Loaded the footage on my normal pc, no problems.
No 100% solutin to the problem, but I think that if there are to many different programs running in the background the labtop simply runs out of ram, memory or what ever, and cannot cope with the work load.
Hope someone with a better pc knowledge comes up with an answer.
Otherweise I am Super Happy with Edius it simply does a great job !!

Erik

Ted Ramasola
March 7th, 2006, 06:32 AM
DJ lewis

Im both a premier and edius user. When editing in edius I too encounter the same problems you mentioned. we are currently trying to pin down these problems. Lets keep each other posted.

Wade Spencer
March 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Have you guys tried calling the Canopus tech support line? Their tech department is the best I've ever dealt with.

Call at exactly noon, east coast time for the shortest hold time.

DJ Lewis
March 8th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Not enough bandwidth is the word. At the very least you should have a 3.0 ghz dual core, with expansion card in pci-x slot (if you have the expansion option) and your video card in pci-xpress.... and "you should be able to do to single stream hi-def (hesitantly) okay."

Since Canopus is supposed to be "real time," I wonder if the requirements are this steap for PPro2 also?

Ted Ramasola
March 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Edius handles hdv snappily than prem pro as software only. I'm trying to get Aspect HD from cineform so I can get back to premier as the controls I get are more mature than edius. I'm also considering getting a hardware solution for edius which is the NX for HDV. Which is which will be known after I get more inputs.

Mouayed Zabtia
March 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Hi ever one, I have the same problem and I use very hi speed Computer , I was plant to shoot my TV drama with 24 but when I see this problem I will use 25p for that.

DJ Lewis
March 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Ted, we're running NX. The tech I spoke with said the NX expanision is what enables Edius to to HDV, not sure how though. You may want to try it, but if you don't have the sys reqs for hdv, it will be a waste of money.. which is where I'm at now. They've worked great for all our sd stuff; now we're left wanting more..... My next step is Aspect HD...

Mouayed, I still don't know if this is a JVC/Edius issue or just a Edius/PC issue, but I can say that we experienced the same this with 30p footage.... so I'm leaning towards Edius/PC. There is a list of supported boards, the tech told me, but I'm not sure where. He also told me, if I didn't want to have to buy a new machine, get a Super Micro Systems PDSME.

What are your specs?