View Full Version : How to get detailed info about DM50?

Giampy Car
January 21st, 2003, 01:11 PM
On the web there are no enought information about the subject.
i need to know something more about it.
Was it never tested by someone?
How where the results?
Please i need info, i'm just deciding to buy it.
Tnx

Chris Hurd
January 22nd, 2003, 01:14 AM
There's really not much to say about the DM50 except that it's a better mic than the one on the GL2/XM2. However it's still a consumer mic. If you're interested in the tech specs, etc., they'll probably disappoint you as it is definitely consumer equipment. It works fine; I think it's a great accessory for the camera. However if you're really concerned about the technical aspects of it, pass it by and get a professional mic instead. Hope this helps,

Scott Silverman
January 22nd, 2003, 01:27 AM
If you are putting out the money for a DM-50, I would say you should just forget about it and get a real shotgun mic. A real mic will enable you to do so much more. You can use it on a boom pole, as handheld, camera mounted, stand mounted and more. I am looking into buying a shotgun mic for my GL2 also. Im lookin at the Sennheiser ME66. It's about $400 though. Link to review of 3 mics: http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html

Here is a shotgun mic on eBay that is reviewed in the article above. Pretty cheap and better than the DM-50. Good luck!
eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3001877296&category=3319

Giampy Car
January 22nd, 2003, 12:04 PM
thank you for all the precious informations.
I use my personal XM1 camera basicly to records some classicalmusic concert and in my personal opinion the on board mic is not so well indicated because the presence of high level of noise (such as type of rumbles) and the omnidirectional aperture record also the reverber.
I know that DM50 is designed specially for the advanced info shoe mounting (XM2), not for XM1 but it can also work.
I think i need for my activity a stereo cardioid external mic, and i was considering the DM50 just as a possible little improvement of the on board mic and also because is easier to purchase.
I have a big confusion in the matter if the price of DM50 can justify the sound improvement that i can reach.
Can you help me please?

Patrick Mollins
January 22nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
I have an Optura Pi and it can take the DM-50 as an attachement. I couldn't find one locally so I bought one of the Sony ones. It had a mini plug that I plugged into my mic port. From what I understand it was very similar to the Canon option. Did it sound better? Yes, was it worth the $100? No. I returned it and am saving money for an ME66.

Patrick Mollins

Tom Voigt
January 22nd, 2003, 04:50 PM
I shoot low budget operas with an Optura Pi with the DM50 mic.

I am quite pleased with the sound quality of the DM50. Please note that this is a STEREO mic.

I haven't compared this to any other mic, and of course it is on-camera sound, and not mic'd close to the singers, but if the sound in the auditorium is good for you standing next to the camera you will be well pleased with the sound that the DM50 puts on tape.

Phil Stevens Jr.
July 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I trying to get rid of the internal camra noise the built in mic picks up on the Canon GL2. Does the Dm50 eliminate that completely? And how is the sound quality? I know all about the various mics out there but i'm curious to see how the dm50 works with the gl2.

Dale Guthormsen
July 29th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Phil,

I do not know about the dm 50, but if you purchase a rode mic, you will be highly satisfied with you audio. The rode mic has a suspended carrage for the mic so there is no real solid contact. It is 149.00 and a good investment. Below is the site to find it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=8902

Phil Stevens Jr.
July 30th, 2006, 04:52 PM
i have the rode video mic and sound sounds way too flat. I used it in doors about 6 feet away from the subject matter and it was way too quiet.

Stephen B. Malkinson
August 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
I will be videoing live rock music with my GL2, I previously owned a DM50 which I used on my Optura Xi. Any thoughts on the Rode Stereo mic versus the DM50?

Don Palomaki
August 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM
In a live venue and/or with typically loud sound? If so, be sure to use MIC ATT setting no matter what mic you use.

The Rode SVM is probably better. Also check the the AT-822 if you are considerng buying a stereo mic.

Allan Black
August 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
I've got the AT822 and the Rode SVM which is the better mic....and it eats the DM 50 for quality.
Don't get to far back at a loud live music gig and I agree put the mic attenuator on.

Dale Guthormsen
August 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Good evening,

The rode mic is definitely the better mic, and for the price almost unbeatable.

Stephen B. Malkinson
August 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Just shot 30 minutes of video with a DM50, over half of the clips have a very loud hiss on them, any one else experienced this ? If so any ideas what is causing it ? Thanks in advance.

Don Palomaki
August 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Using AGC? Lots of relatively silent intervals in the audio? Using GC can cause any noise/hiss from the mic or the preamps to be more apparent during relatively quiet parts of the program. The solution is to use manual level control, or MIC ATT setting, if the sound level allows.

It also can become an issue of the mic is more than a couple feet from the speaker/sound source depending on how loud the sound source is.

How are you listening to the audio? Head phones will make any hiss much more apparent than listening with typical TV speakers.

The DM50 is not a high end mic, so its noise floor is probably not great.