View Full Version : Modern day GL1?

James Durand
March 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I am looking at getting a prosumer camcorder. I've played around with an old Gl1 and I really liked it. The only problem is that most of them are around 4-5 years old. I will mostly be shooting videos of cars under bright outdoor sunlight. However it will be serving double duty as an all purpose video camera for family events (birthdays etc.). I found the handle on the gl1 very useful for the kinds of shots I was making, so I would like the camera I get to have one. The size was really nice too, the sony vx2000 was really just to big for me. I have budgeted about 800-1000 for just the camera. Would I be ok with a camera as old as the gl1? Or is there a camera out there now that would match the gl1 as far as size/video performance. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Boyd Ostroff
March 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM
At that price point you're probably going to be looking at used cameras it seems. You might consider the Sony PDX-10. It's smaller than the GL1 if you remove the XLR block (still records through its builtin stereo mikes). It has a lot of pro features, like the mike and XLR's, DVCAM recording, B&W viewfinder. Native 16:9. New they're going for $1,700 but perhaps you can get a used one in your price range:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=252192&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Zack Birlew
March 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM
There's the smaller Sony HC1/HC3 and then there's always the JVC HD1. Also, there's the Sanyo HD1 but that's going to be a lot smaller than what you're looking for.

James Durand
March 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. The PDX10 looks nice, I'll see if I can find one locally to play around with. I don't really have any problem with buying used. How well do the GL1's hold up? Assuming the camera was taken care of, is there any reason a 4-5 year old GL1 would not be reliable?

Marco Leavitt
March 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I like the GL1, but time has just past it by. Frankly, I'd rather have a new Optura.

Bob Zimmerman
March 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. The PDX10 looks nice, I'll see if I can find one locally to play around with. I don't really have any problem with buying used. How well do the GL1's hold up? Assuming the camera was taken care of, is there any reason a 4-5 year old GL1 would not be reliable?
Why do you want a 4 or 5 year old camera is what I would ask you. Man if you want to shoot video the kids get one of these new HDV/SD camcorders. Plus then you have a real nice 21st century camera to use. The prices are really good. Check out the new Sony HC cameras.

The Sony A1U has a $500 rebate. That cam would do a lot for you. The PGX10 is discontinued. The GL2 is not going to be made much longer either. But a GL1? Where did you find one? Ebay?

Just wondering what you are planning to pay for a GL1?

James Durand
March 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Like I said, I liked shooting with the Gl1 I borrowed. The most I would pay would be about $700. I feel that if I keep an eye out I can get it for that. However If there was a newer camera on the market that was similar to the gl1 in terms of size and video performance for around $800 I would seriously consider that too, that was really the point of my thread.

Chris Barcellos
March 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM
You might want to consider the Panosonic GS 3 Chip cameras as an alternaitve

Zack Birlew
March 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Well, I've been using a GL1 since summer 2002 and it's never had to be sent in and it's been dropped a couple of times (oops!), only has a couple of scratches. It's a pretty durable camera, but I still would have to suggest a Sony A1U with the rebate or even a JVC HD1. The Sony rebate only lasts until the end of March and though it is a little more than double your $800 ideal price, it's going to be worth it. The JVC HD1 is about equal with the GL1/GL2 but has a little less manual control but with 720p HD if I'm not mistaken, but it's also higher priced than your $800 ideal price.

That's if you're going with HD. There's plenty of SD options available for even less than $800. Though, you like the size of the GL1, that's all I know of. Other than that, the options that the others have told you about are probably your best bets.

James Durand
March 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks again for all the replies. I wasn't really planning on going HD, maybe in a few years, but the A1U and HD1 look really nice. I think I am going to hold off getting a camera until I can save some more money. I think with $1500-1700 I will be able to get a lot better camera, then dropping 700 on an old GL1.