View Full Version : AV - DV input

Michael Claerbout
March 12th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Hi all,

My name is Michaël and i'm about to shoot a short movie but i'm having trouble with my xm2 camera, so i can't record on it! As a solution i thought getting a xl1 and send the video signal to the xl1 and let him record on tape.

Is this possible, i know the xm2 / Gl2 camera's have a Av--> Dv input but you can't seem to record it, + i don't know if the XL1 has this function.

I hope you guys can help me out cause i really need to find a solution

thanks in advance!

¨greetzzz Michaël¨

Don Palomaki
March 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
The original XL1 cannot record an analog video input if that is your question.

Michael Claerbout
March 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Hi, thx for the reply
well yes thats actually my question.

So it isn't possible to hook up my xm2 camera and let the xl1 tape the video from my xm2 ?

damn if this is the case :-(

Graham Bernard
March 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Hi, thx for the reply
well yes thats actually my question.

So it isn't possible to hook up my xm2 camera and let the xl1 tape the video from my xm2 ?

damn if this is the case :-(

Eh??? Hold on!

You said you had trouble recording to the original XM2? Yes? WHY?

Anyway, why not output from the XM2's firewire to any other firewire input device? Eh another camera OR deck? Or even a laptop/pc hard drive?

And why, if you ARE going to use an XL1 anyway, why not video using that camera? You have me completely turned about here?

Grazie

Michael Claerbout
March 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Hi,

well first off all i'm having that remove the cassette error alot lately and i don't want to risk problems on the set

second of all, using firewire would be ok to, but does the xl1 have firewire input, and so can it capture that on tape?

last, i'm using my xm2 because i have crane shots but he can't support a big camera well.

greetzz

Michaël.

Greg Boston
March 12th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Yes, you can record to the XL-1 via firewire. It just can't do analog input. You need to get a long firewire cable if you're going to be coming off a crane from the other camera. Also, you can remove the lens and viewfinder from the XL-1 to make it lighter if you are just using it as a firewire deck.

If the XM2 doesn't have a DV control setting, it may not work because the sending device has to tell the other camera when to start/stop recording.

-gb-

Michael Claerbout
March 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM
hé thanks for the info!
i just checked out the canon website and there it states to have dv in / out.
But i do not now if he can control my xl1!

thx again for the great info!

greetzz

Michaël.

Alan Craven
March 12th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Is the remove cassette error your only problem with the XM2? If so, surely this is a problem when using the XM2 as a tape deck and rewinding? I was always able to record perfectly with my XM1 when the rewind was playing up.

If that is the case, you should be able to record OK - just make sure you do not rewind during the project!

Michael Claerbout
March 12th, 2006, 09:34 AM
hé,

well sometimes the message appears at startup, so i won't risk it, but i will defenitly try to record with my xm2, he's always has been my favorite camera, just that damn "remove the cassette error" but i'm not the only one with that problem.

thanks for the advice,

i'm starting to feel like home on DV INFO :-)

Nathaniel McInnes
March 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Ahh. thats sound more like condensation error to me. if you get it on start up that means condensation. try and move the camcorder to a warmer place, leave it for 30mins and try again

Michael Claerbout
March 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM
hé,

for the moment he is working correctly, but i'm shooting the short ouside,
and it is still cold, so i'm afraid of having tape problems again

greets

Michaël.

Dale Guthormsen
March 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Michael,

I shoot in cold down to 20 below zero often!!! First, put the camera in a camera case. place it in your vehicle and it will cool down slowly. by the time you get to the site the camera will be ready to use. When you bring it back in the house, leave it in the case so it can climatize slowly. doing the aforementioned I have never had an issue!!

I have shot runing a 4 pin fire wire connector on my canon to a 4 pin connector on my sony. The canon does control the sony.

for about 500 it seems to me you can get a small hard drive to record directly to.

I suspect the others are right and your camera will record just fine.

run some tests.

gus

Michael Claerbout
March 16th, 2006, 12:06 PM
hé Dale,

thanks for the info, ill will try some test before the shoot and
let my camera get used to the temperature slowly

greets

Michaël.