View Full Version : Firmware updates for HD1/10 ?

Ken Hodson
March 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Mr. Freed, if your going to do us early adopter, JVC loyalists a favor (all us guys who bought HD1/10's) a simple firmware update that would change the "Sports Mode" preset to a "1/60th shutter" preset, would be a nice guesture. Nothing has held these cams back more than not having the ability to set to 1/60th with a preset so that we could then use the exposure control and lock it.
You have constantly released new firmware patches for the HD100 to correct its shortcommings, now how about helping out us guys who paid the $$ in the early days, helping you get your launch into HD.
Were feeling a little abondoned here. Any chance you can help us?

Ken Hodson
March 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM
This may seem a little out of place, and for good reason. It was tagged on the end of a HD100 thread to which Ken Freed of JVC had replied. By the good graces of a moderator it has been banished here. This has been asked befor, but without ever a reply from Mr. Freed. I guess I can only hope he wanders over to check out how us old HD10 users are keeping up.

Tim Dashwood
March 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Ken,

I moved your post over to the HD1/10 forum because you had posted to a HD100 topic thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43386) that no one has responed to since April 26th of 2005. Also, your post ultimately has nothing to do with the HD100, and resurrecting an old thread with outdated information on an "upcoming" product confuses people.

Just because Ken Freed responded once to a thread in April of 2005 doesn't mean you will get a response from him on a totally different topic by posting to that thread. If you have a bone to pick with Ken Freed, then send him an email, but keep in mind he is a "Regional Sales Engineer" and probably doesn't have to much influence on JVC's firmware programmers in Japan.

I apoligize for not adding "Moved from..." to the top of your post. I clicked "move" before adding the line and then realized I didn't have moderator priveleges over here in HD1/10 land.

Thanks, Tim

Erik Rangel
March 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I'll second Ken's request.
How about some love for us HDV old schoolers.
"In my day it wasn't even called HDV and we walked to school fifty miles with no shoes either."
:)

Ken Hodson
March 14th, 2006, 06:16 PM
My appologies Tim. Someone must have made current post as I replied because I got a email notification. Thats the only reason I ended up there, so I just assumed the thread was current.

Darrin McMillan
March 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yea...What Erik said but uphill as well.. :)

Graham Hickling
March 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah!!!

Just imagine the wave of positivity that would wash over JVC if they could just throw us that tiny, little firmware bone...

(Weeping...)

Ken Hodson
March 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'm afraid our sentiments will fall on deaf ears. Does JVC even remember this cam? Sad fact is any effort to improve this cam may prevent us from buying a new model. I think it reflects horribly on the company. If we were to recieve some form of feedback as to why certain things can't be done, that may be good enough. Considering those who have hacked the firmware have shown all kinds of possibilities. The current "Sports mode" preset is set to 1/250th-1/1000, I belive this could easily be changed to 1/60th-1/1000. In that case we could ND filter down and know that it would stay at 1/60th. Instead of it allways reverting to 1/30th in HD mode. How hard could this be?

Graham Hickling
March 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM
> Sad fact is any effort to improve this cam may prevent us from buying a new model.

May I reword that slightly: "The lack of any effort to improve this cam prevented me from buying the new model."

(I've defected to Sony, although I can't quite bring myself to put my JVC on Ebay ... yet)

Wayne Morellini
April 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Whoops, sorry, I was trying to start a new thread, I have moved it here:

It is here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=460793#post460793

It is about an idea for hardware mods to give the mods people have been asking for, plus new Lens with better low light, DOF etc.

Wayne Morellini
June 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Ken, it was a good idea (but with a few more improvements, and gain). It was the right spot to put it, as it could have come up on his subscribed list and email notification, where he might never see it here, unless he comes here. A good contrast to the new camera, but it looks like it wasn't going to get a response anyway.

I was going to suggest maybe you can hunt his contact details down (if the ones in his profile are not current) and email him with all our firmware requests. Wherever we own these cameras or not in future, somebody will own tens of thousands of them, and JVC's company reputation will go with them to their new owners and their friends, where ever it is regard as a slack HDV camera or still descent one.