View Full Version : Gl-2 tape error, What's Really Happening?

James Holman
March 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM
This is my first posting and I have seen many questions about Canons tape error message.
The tape mech on the GL-2 is the same unit used in the Xl-1 and ZR-40 though ZR 50. The problem doesn't neccessarily come from tape brands although there are probably minor differences in tape quality(I'm talking about the mechanical aspects of the tape). All units should be able to use any tape when working properly.
Although many factors can be attributed to the tape error, barring inpacts, dust/sand or abussed equipment, the problem comes form tape movement, or the lack of it. The culprit is the clutch unit on the main deck. This cluch is magnetic, a permanent magnet is resting againt a steal plate, this causes friction yet slipping when needed. Unfortunently the clutch gets contaminated with oil and to much slipping usually causes tape error. Under the reals are real sensor which pick up movement, if movement is'nt detected the camera will stop tape movement.
A complete cleaning of the deck unit, including rollers, manual cleaning of heads, guide post and of course the clutch itself, should put the camera into good working order.

Jim

Jeff Wootton
March 30th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Interesting comment about this magnetic clutch...I am aware of several FELT ones. Where is this clutch located?

Nathaniel McInnes
March 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Thinking about it i think it is something to do with the tape macenism. because if you play something recorded on the XM2 and play it on a JVC or Sony VTR/DDR the picture is all funny.

Graham Bernard
March 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Thinking about it i think it is something to do with the tape macenism. because if you play something recorded on the XM2 and play it on a JVC or Sony VTR/DDR the picture is all funny.

Funny? How "funny"? - Anyways, ALL my XM2 shot tape goes straight into a Panasonic deck - no problems.

Don Boosinger
March 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
"A complete cleaning of the deck unit, including rollers, manual cleaning of heads, guide post and of course the clutch itself, should put the camera into good working order."

Jim

Thanks for the post. I have believed this for some time now. I would much prefer to do a mechanical cleaning myself instead of using a “cleaning tape”. So my question is how does one go about a mechanical cleaning? Can you suggest something to read or ?….

Thanks

Don

Jeff Wootton
March 31st, 2006, 06:26 AM
Don, it sounds like the clutch reference is from a service manual or procedure, since I didn't find it in the user manual. Of course, a major deck cleaning is beyond the capabilities of the typical end-user anyway...but I am still interested in the magnetic clutch... Are there any further discriptions of it or where it is located in the assembly?

Alan Craven
March 31st, 2006, 06:54 AM
Tom Hardwick used to have some tramnsport cleaning instructions on line, but the site no longer exists. The associated photographs are here:

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery/tom-s-photo-album/Cleaning_Fig_4_6

Don Boosinger
March 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM
Alan

Thanks for the link, interesting pictures. I am using a GL-2 and it will be somewhat more complicated than that of the Sony. However I also looked at the rest of the pictures and found a couple of one’s that gave me some more ideas (oh no) as I am in the middle of building a bracket to hole some accessories.

Don

Jeff Wootton
March 31st, 2006, 08:28 AM
The text of Tom's article is still reachable:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031208080311/http://www.xs4all.nl/~sl/trv900/cleaning.html

A very detailed description of the procedure, and applies to all tape transports. Still, I haven't come across a magnetic clutch in mechanisms which I have dissassembled and worked on, so I am wanting to learn more.

James Holman
April 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
For the curious,

I will try over the next week or so to post pictures of the offending clutch unit. If I can find a decent camera and figure out how to link the pictures for viewing.

I must say I'm sort of a computer and internet dunce but I will see what I can do.

Also I will post soon my opinion on why I think the clutch is failing even in low use cameras, these opinions are mine and not from hard scientific evidence so please take them as one mans opinion and not an indisputable fact.

Any info on how to post pictures would be sincerely appreciated.

jim