View Full Version : Viewer Content is Quite Large...

Austin Walton
March 17th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Editing HDV...

The content of my Viewer window has expanded beyond the borders of the window (the window is still the same size). Any ideas on how I could fix that? Thanks.

EDIT:

So it obviously has something to do w/the fact that I didn't have anamorphic checked in my sequence settings, and the fact that I went and checked anamorphic during the middle of editing, right? When I lay down video in the seq. now it is not sized correctly w/the rest of the timeline.

Tim Dashwood
March 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Just go to the "Window" menu and choose "Arrange --> Standard" to get the standard layout that will auto resize the windows based on the aspect ratio. If you have two screens, then choose "dual screen - editing."

Austin Walton
March 18th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks Tim.

I tried arranging the window; I have my preference set. That didn't change anything. The window is the same size that it's always been. It's just the content that is larger. There are now scroll bars on the right side of the window and at the bottom. You have to scroll through those to see the right/lower part of the image in the viewer.

Another thing, the content of the viewer runs slow when I scrub the playhead in the viewer.

: )

Boyd Ostroff
March 18th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Using the dropdown menu on the canvas and viewer, choose "Fit in Window." Do not choose 100% as the scale. This should accomplish two things; first, it should make sure that your video fits in the window. But second, there's an old FCP bug that's still there which causes playback problems when the view scale is set to 100%.

Austin Walton
March 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I will try the "Fit in Window". I've been away from the Mac all weekend, and will try that tonite.

Another question. I have yet to tackle DVD Studio and am using iDVD. Any idea why I can't export in Widescreen (I want the DVD to play WS on any TV)? Again, I'm editing HDV.

Thanks,

Austin

Dylan Pank
March 21st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Austin, export the timeline as an SD quicktime mov. open the mov and under the window menu choose Show Movie Properties (or hit "Cmd J").

Select Visual settings and change "current size" to a 16:9 ratio - in PAL that would mean going from 720x576 to 1024x576. NTSC is what, 960*480? Save the mov (Cmd S), and import it into iDVD - it will now treat it as a 16:9 file and render accordingly. The menu will still be 4:3 though.

I gather the new version of iDVD will handle 16:9 DVDs

Austin Walton
March 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Boyd, the "fit in window" was the problem.

Dylan, I'll try that.

I'm in the process of moving and my manuals for FCP are packed along w/the rest of my books. Thank you for your patience to my redundant questions.

--Austin

Boyd Ostroff
March 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM
Happy to be able to help. BTW - you can always access the FCP manuals as long as you have your computer handy. Just go to the "Help" menu and you'll find everything there.

Dylan Pank
March 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Extra tip, the FCP manual is actually a PDF file held within your FCP program package. Right click (or "CRTL click") and choose "show package contents" and navigate through to the resoures folder - the PDF is inside a help folder there, so I think you can copy it to another folder. Dont cut/paste or drag it, as then it won't be available as a help file anymore.

Austin Walton
March 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
Your comments have been very helpful.