View Full Version : Which is easier? DVCRRO-HD OR HDV in editing.

Paulo Teixeira
March 19th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I’m very sorry if a question like this was asked before but I need a little help.
I have a friend who is getting either a Dual Processor Windows based computer with Avid or a Dual Mac with Final Cut Pro. Both setups will have at least 4 gigs of Ram.

This is for a TV studio and making any mistakes is not in option so I’m wondering will DVCPRO-HD allow for a better workflow or will HDV. DVCPRO-HD is in AVI which is better than MPEG2 but DVCPRO-HD is also 4 times more information than HDV.

You can pretty much see why I cant figure this out.

Thanks in advance,

Paulo Teixeira

Ash Greyson
March 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
DVCpro is less processor intensive and better IMHO... however, I recommend you finish in uncompressed if you do lots of color correction.

ash =o)

Kevin Shaw
March 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Can you be more specific about what workflow considerations are important to your friend, and are you trying to pick between editing setups or camera choices? For TV work the DVCProHD option with Final Cut Pro is arguably a good choice, but there are a lot of things to consider before making that decision.

Paulo Teixeira
March 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM
He’s been an expert using AVID for many years and have just put in charge of a studio. He’s thinking about getting an Apple instead since in my opinion Final Cut Pro is the best but the problem is that I don’t think he ever used an Apple Computer before. I’m sure I could teach him how to use Final Cut HD but I’ve never used Soundtrack-Pro and Motion-2.

As for a studio camera he’s thinking about having at least 1 Sony Z1u but I have recommended the Panasonic HVX200. Also the camera will hook up directly to the computer so the price of the P2 cards is not an issue since he doesn’t need them for now. At least it’s a good thing that storage has gone down over the last year.

Ash Greyson
March 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Most diehard AVID guys HATE FCP... at least the old-schoolers... have him try it out...

ash =o)

Lee Faulkner
March 21st, 2006, 04:24 PM
well I've used DVCPro HD/FCP a bit and for me it's been easy, easy, easy!

It imports from a P2 card or directly from a Hard Disk just like regular DV. There's a short delay while FCP converts the XML files to true quicktime... but its still quicker than real time capture!

It edits like a dream ... although I am fussy about the original look so to avoid too much corrective work later.

It goes straight to DVD Studio Pro and puts out an HD-DVD on a red laser disk and down converts for SD OK too.(the HD H264 codec takes a *long* time!)

The SD DVD's look a *bit* better than well shot DV .. but the HD ones are really nice.

DVD playback is limited to a Mac G5 with the latest copy of DVD player, but that's not peculiar to the FCP workflow. Just need HD DVD players on the market.

For public presentation I've played back directly from FCP on a G4 laptop in
in Desktop Cinema mode. Viwers are blown away.

All my FW 400 drives work with DVCPro HD for editing and backup. I don't really need the (expensive) Tape Deck at all. For long shoots I capture directly to the G4 laptop with FCP running in capture mode. It works fine even to the laptop internal drive!

So that's a best workflow I've been through. I haven't worked much with HDV... in the early days the conversions / tape droputs etc were enogh to put me off. And I don't think it looks as good.

My 2cents

Lee

Paulo Teixeira
March 24th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I’m pretty much all set now. I forgot that DVCPRO-HD allows you to de certain types of edits that would be very difficult if using HDV.