View Full Version : Gl2 setup

Terry Lyons
March 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Hi all, any preferences on your set up levels like color, saturation, black level etc.?

Graham Bernard
March 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
yes? yours missing?

Terry Lyons
March 20th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Your a crack up Graham! No mine arent missing but just wondering if I can squeeze a little more out of ol Betsie. Any way I shoot in frame mode, manual exp.and focus. I am just wanting to maby get a little richer look. Al settings are factory right now. Anyway Good Morning (at least over here)

Graham Bernard
March 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Your a crack up Graham!

Ah, it's tough, . . I try my best. Nice to be recognised - at last.

. . . just wondering if I can squeeze a little more out of ol Betsie.

Well, I think you SHOULD speak with ole "Betsie" first?! I would . .

Any way I shoot in frame mode, manual exp.and focus. I am just wanting to maby get a little richer look. Al settings are factory right now. Anyway Good Morning (at least over here)

Ok, me being "slightly" serious now.

Ahem!!! [ that's Limey for clearing my throat ]

I have been experimenting with Presets for the past 14 days after catching back up with the thread I mentioned in my "Drooling over HD. . " thingy thread.

I re-read it and "Jim" dropped a big hint, again, as to what he did.

By adjusting back almost all the presets by 3 clicks AND then taking it to Magic Bullet he was able to get the - IMHO - a really RICH look he has.

GO read it and see his award wining "Sundowners" - I posted a link.

I don't have Magic Bullet, but Id do have Vegas which has a stupendous ability to be able to create and design one's own Fxs/filters. So far I've been applying and removing filters on the hop and I think my XM2 footage is gaining from this approach.

Bottom line, by going towards NEG settings and then bringing back, say RED, I'm getting a type of colour control and subtlety that I my Canon just wasn't doing on ZERO. Try it out? I don't know your NLE, but Vegas and my XM2 is providing me with yet another avenue to explore: Designing Presets to then be WORKED by the FX I design within Vegas. - It's a bit like removing bass from an EQ session to "hear" accentuate upper ranges rather than "boosting" treble instead.

Kinda like that analogy?

Oh yeah! Give ole Betsie my love! WHAT a woman?!??!

Grazie

Terry Lyons
March 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I did check the post you brought up and the trailer. Your right that sundowner footage looked awesom! Although I guess to avoid the magic bullet render times you have a great idea to make your own. I use primier pro 1.5 and I am not sure if it has something fairly easy to use. I will have to experiment. I was hoping for some settings in the camera that would help a little. The frame mode is definately something that is easy to use that makes it look more appealing. Thanks again Grazie.

Terry Lyons
March 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Hey Graham he also said that in camera 16:9 seemed to add resolution. Do you think that would work in our favor?

Graham Bernard
March 20th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Until I get a native 16x9 this is all I can use. However, IMHO, it is quite decent. This is from somebody - me! - that has zippo experience in any "other" rig that does internal 4x3 > 16x9.

I must say that the XM2s 16x9 version of . .. er . .. 16x9 does look quite pleasing. Well look at Jim's stuff! It is quite remarkable. Don;t forget how much attention he gave to the lighting? I think he talks of reflectors - yes? Or making creative use of the ambient?

I'll leave the subjective "seemed to add resolution" comment to others to discuss. Personally? I now feel I should have been shooting and using the XM2s 16x9, 2 years back!! I'm now experimenting with his "-3s" recipees! And bringing back the reds/warms in POST.

Try and see for yourself. I did and put it up on a widescreen TV - looked awesome. BUT IT AINT 16x9 from a 16x9 CHIP array - yeah?

Grazie

Dale Guthormsen
March 25th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Grazie,

this is a great post. However, not up on the abreviations and such what is IMHO??? I came up with some provacative possibilities not worth sharing, so perhaps you could clue me.

I have been using 16/9 Frame solely for the last year and I find it is is dandy for the stoic and less action shots, but when you have a lot of vertical movement its definitely harder to stay with the subject. One my 54 inch big screen the 16/9 is pretty awesome to the point i do not want to shoot much else.

I have also been working on presets a lot!!! I tend to keep all three down. The Ice show I just did had terrific color and I did do color correction the readjust but not enough to effect picture quality. My biggest problem was the ice color!! high overhead halogen lights and not enough of them.

dale

Graham Bernard
March 25th, 2006, 01:30 AM
LOL!! { Laughed Out Loud! )

IMHO ( In My Humble Opinion )

Here is a great list of these abbrvs. - http://www.loganact.com/tips/afaik.html