View Full Version : "Remove the cassette" message?

Bruce S. Yarock
March 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I was playing back a tape on my gl1. I shoot on an xl2, and usually use the gl1 to capture or play back with. Half way through this particular tape,I got the "remove the cassette" message, the gl1 stopped, andthe little green light started blinking. I took the tape out, turned off the camera, and tried again. Same thing, three times.
On page 98 of the manual, it saysthis happens"as a warning to protect the tape and also when condensation is detected". I can't see anything wrong with the tape, and there's no condensation I can see. Is this possibly a damaged tape, or problem with the gl1?
Bruce Yarock

James Holman
March 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Bruce,

Sorry to here about the problem but it sounds like time for service. A number of things can cause this problem. The GL1 GL2 XL1 many ZR's and Opturas use the same tape mech. Unfortunatly the problem is with the either a bad capstain motor or more likely a bad clutch/friction gear.

The cameras I have seen with this problem is due to a build-up of oil on the clutch gear, even on gentally used equipment. Higher use cameras can have the additional problem of a bad or worn out capstain motor, and a new deck unit will be needed. To explain briefly, on the underside of the mech unit there are grease points; well under certain conditions the grease can thin becoming oil, this oil migrates and eventually find critical components that don't need the oil there. so therefore the clutch slips and the tape isn't taken up properly. Insevere conditions the tape can be left out and upon removal the tape gets damaged.

So to answer your question, the problem is usually the camera and not the tape.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Nathaniel McInnes
March 21st, 2006, 01:03 AM
i had this problem when my xm2 was only 6 months old. luckly (i hope) it was condensation because it was very cold in my room and i checked my other camcorders and they all said condensation has been detected

Bruce S. Yarock
March 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM
Jim,
thanks for the info. Where is my best bet for service? Should I try someone local (I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale are) or call the Canon factory in Jamesburgh New Jersey?
Brucce Yarock

James Holman
March 21st, 2006, 08:08 PM
Hey Bruce,

Here is my opinion on service for your camera. You have two options, send it to the factory or find a local repair place.

The factory can handle all aspects of repair from minor to main circuit boards, but they can't give the personal service a local shop can. Factories have a certain turn-around time which can be very inconvenient if your equipment is needed in a hurry. I just read a post for someone whom had a very important tape stuck in their unit and need the tape right away, the factory said two weeks minimun. I'm not sure how he resolved his problem.

Local repair places can be as good as the factory with usually better service and quicker turn around times. The trick is to find a decent repair place in your area and make sure they know your equipment. As in the example above, a local guy could easily get that tape out in a matter of hours or days, not weeks. Your special requests at local place will get heard and acted upon since they serve you directly, unlike the factory whom hear special requests from many people so you become one of masses and not an individual. The drawback of a local guy is simply he can't do every repair and he needs to have good quallity techs on hand.

As for your GL1, the part needing service, the deck unit can and should be easily handled by a competent local shop since the deck unit is common to many Canons including the ZR40-60.

Hope I have been some help and let me know how thing go.

Best wishes Jim

Bruce S. Yarock
March 22nd, 2006, 04:31 AM
James,
Thanks for the reply. I'm leading towards sending it to Canon in New jersey. I only use the GL1 for viewing and capturing, so I can live without it for a week a couple of weeks. There's a local repair facility in Miami, but they said they'd have to do an estimate first, and If they needed parts, they would have to get them from Canon. I think the price would be the same either way, and I might get quicker service from Canon. But who knows?
Bruce yarock

Jim Herman
March 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Bruce, I just sent my GL2 to the Canon repair center in NJ today. I bought 2 GL2s three years ago and this is the third time I am getting the "remove cassette" error message. This is supposed to be due to condensation but for alot of people, it happens even when there is no condensation...and just gets out of control. There is some posts on this forum about the problem. Since you are using a GL1, I'm not definate that the problem is the same as what lots of people experience with the GL2. But just so you know, when you send your camera in, ask to see if you are eligable for the discounted repair which is like 50 dollars. Otherwise, they will charge you close to 300 to have it fixed. I didn't know about the discounted rate when I got the repair done before but after reading some posts on this site, I found out about the discounted rate...but you have to ask for it or you won't get it. Again, I'm not sure if the GL1 is eligable for the discount but it's worth a try.

-Jim

Bruce S. Yarock
March 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Jim,
I'll call before I send it in and ask about that discounted rate. I'm still not sure whether I'll have it done locally, or send it to Canon...
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Ron Edwards
March 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM
This topic has been beat to death. Is there anyone out there that has not had the same problem? I purchased 2 (NEW) Canon GL2's. They have this problem too! Sooooooooo When I went to purchase a new camera I didn't even look at the XL2 account Canon is not willing to recall the GL2 cameras and fix them.

Just something about spending several hundred dollars to fix what is a common problem that a company is not willing to address that sends me looking and spending $$$ elsewhere. Yep I am still using the GL2's but they don't have the reliability of my old Sony Hi8 TRV615 circa 1998 (my trusty backup).

COME ON CANON....STEP UP TO THE PLATE!

Bruce S. Yarock
March 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I bought my GL1 5 years ago, and this is the first problem I've had with it. The wide angle lens for my XL2,however, is a different story.I've had it for a year, and this is the THIRD time it's failed has to go back to Canon service.
Hey Canon...Can you say "LEMON"?
Bruce Yarock

Dale Guthormsen
March 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Bruce,

I use my gl2 alot!! At 11 months old it has 64 hours but I have treated it exceptionally well.
I have never seen the condensation note.

Yesterday it was in the house all day and when I started it up I got the notice. I tried to see if it would work on record, nope.

Mine wont even bring up the tape. It went out today to Canon today.

I need a second camera so I have narrowed the list to a xl2 or the sony Fx1 hd.

Hard call.

dale

Bruce S. Yarock
March 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Dale,
My GL1 is bubble wrapped (along with my wide angle XL2 lens) and ready to go to Canon.
Re-second camera. I also need a second camera to shoot with my XL2, and I'm also thinking another XL2, or an FX1.

Pros of 2nd XL2-Match color,image etc. 60i,30p and 24p. native 16:9 shooting.Great look. Tweakable image.

Cons of XL2- Heavy. Not hdv.

Pros of FX1-Small, light. better for hand help. Native 16:9, sd or hdv.
Cons of FX1- No real 30p or 24p. Controls aren't ppro like XL2.

But...the bottom line is I need to do a test and see how close I can get matching the color and look of the two cameras.
Bruce Yarock