View Full Version : FCP and DV widescreen

Mike Moncrief
March 22nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Hello,

I am a FCP newbie.. been editing on other systems for quite some time.. One thing I noticed today is when looking at the available project option like DV and HDV etc.. they do not list a DV Widescreen(for footage shot in 16 9 in DV) i see that they have a setup called DV Anamorphic.. Is this the same as DV Widescreen? If not what is DV Widescreen called?/

Also When bringing in some footage from a camera like the sony PDX 10, which shoots true 16 9 DV, why does the file size still say 720 X 480..Even when the footage is shot in the DV Widescreen mode.. Does that mean the file is actually 720X480 but stretched out to Widescreen DV..??

Thanks,,

Mike m.

Ben De Rydt
March 23rd, 2006, 03:50 AM
DV Anamorphic is the setup you need for widescreen aka 16:9.

About 720x480: there's nothing wrong with your camera nor Final Cut Pro. That's the way 16:9 gets recorded in standard definition. The image is compressed horizontally and will be stretched by the TV or DVD player on output. That's why they call it anamorphic.

Boyd Ostroff
March 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM
Ben is correct, use the anamorphic easy setup in FCP. Actually, the only difference between this setup from regular 4:3 DV is that the anamorphic box is checked.

And all standard definition DV is 720x480, but the width of the pixels changes when shooting widescreen. And, in fact, the word "anamorphic" comes from Greek words which mean "changed shape".

Mike Moncrief
March 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the info !! So if the shape of the pixels are wider in widescreen, does that mean technically there is more resolution or the same.. ?? This whole thing stemmed freom seeing some widescreen footage listing the file as only 720X480..

Thanks,
Mike m.

Boyd Ostroff
March 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Well the number of pixels is actually the same, so there are more of them per square inch in 4:3 video. However, most 4:3 TV's can't resolve the full 720 pixels anyway, so you might perceive the 16:9 as looking better when comparing a more modern widescreen TV to your old glass tube :-)