View Full Version : AGP Dual DVI

Greg Bartlett
March 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
There seems to be a lack of dual DVI AGP cards for the G5. I currently have an ATI 9650 but I want to upgrade for more graphics horsepower. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Greg

Kevin Calumpit
March 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
price range??

the ATi X800 XT has dual dvi its around $400

really the only one i was able to find
there is also

the ATi 9800 pro its around 220-260

just google search for "mac edition video cards"

worked for me.

Greg Bartlett
March 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Price isn't an object really. All the cards that I did find are either no longer manufactured or have ADC and DVI ports instead of dual DVIs including the X800xt. I did find an ADC to DVI converter so that may be an option. It looks like the GeForce 6800 GT might be an option but I haven't found a retail source just yet.

Regards,

Greg

Kevin Calumpit
March 28th, 2006, 10:17 AM
okay upon further searching i see what you mean about the ADC port. I never knew what those were, now i do....and yeah the site i read it on said Nvidia's 6800 has four DVI ports so you can hook up 2 30in' apple monitors.(since the 30in' needs 2 ports per monitor.)

heres the link where i read that

http://8help.osu.edu/1226.html

^^yeah i would go with a 6800 gt
you wouldnt happen to know if its necessary to use mac edition video cards or will regular pc video cards work?

Greg Bartlett
March 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I am suspicious that Apple no longer sells the 6800 GT so that may be the reason I'm not able to find one.

It's my understanding that the nvidia and ati cards are mac specific. With the nvidia cards being apple branded and supported. It seems likely to me that the ATI PC and Mac cards are near clones, but I would want to know if someone else has tried that first before I give it a shot.... ;)

Regards,

Greg