View Full Version : Redrock Micro M2 BW footage

Erick von Schulz
March 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Here is a shot of my cat with the Redrock Micro M2 in BW mode on my HD10u..

It is in HD Divx format....

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=5e38cfa50a9807cbdb9c2051

Ken Hodson
March 29th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the 35mm adapter clips, as always.
It seems that the DOF is almost too extreem. It appears that it is quite hard to get the whole cat in focus. Is that do to the high speed lens? Or lack of light causing you to shoot wide open? What was the F-stop at if you remmember.
I think it would be impossible to shoot any dramatic work with a focus that tight.

Erick von Schulz
March 29th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I was trying to get a shallow DOF.... It was only about 6 inches of focus area.. You can always change the fstop or the distance from camera to get more or less DOF... I was just trying to isolate his head.. I did some stuff a while back that only had about 4 inches of DOF on people.. I have it here posted somewhere... I was just playing around with the lens.... BW comes out pretty darn nice with the HD10... I think it was one of your posts that got me thinking about more BW footage with the camera....

Camera was wide open.. Lens was set at f 1.4.. It was a Nikon 85mm f 1.4 lens

Ken Hodson
March 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Okay I had no idea you were that close. That explaines it. It doesn't seem like you were that close. I always wondered why your DOF was so extreem. Do you put the cam in macro mode when using the adaptor, or do you leave it as is?
Yes I love B&W from the HD10. No chroma noise, and a very artistic image to boot. I myself am using B&W only at the moment. Practicing my lighting setups and I find the colour to be distracting when I'm in learning mode.
Your CC in the second half of the clip helped show some more detail in the cats chest.

Erick von Schulz
March 30th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I put the camera in manual mode and do not use the macro. I zoom in untill there is no vignetting. Then all I do is focus it and leave my lens fully open. I have just been on an extreme DOF kick lately...

I think I am going to be shooting mostly in BW from now on as well. It gives such a great quality to the HDV image. The lack of Chroma noise makes a big difference...

So do you have any new stuff posted?

Scott Frase
April 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Erick,
I was wondering if you had any outdoor, daylight footage to share from your Micro M2? (Unless I missed it in your previous posts).
scott

Erick von Schulz
April 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I think the only outside shots I have is with the Letus35A.. They look pretty good.. Once I move to my new house I will have tons to post.. I just bought a 6 acre 5000Sq Ft. house in Chapel Hill NC.... So keep your eye out around July.....

Scott Frase
May 1st, 2006, 09:48 AM
Sounds good, Erick. Good luck on the new place! Gotta love space!

Philippe Chamberland
May 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Nice cat! love the dof!

I will buy the letus35 flip enhanced next week, I was wondering what your verdict after use the Letus and M2...

thanks

Erick von Schulz
May 10th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I like the letus35 alot.. I am sure the flip scren is great. I use cineform which flips iit for you in capture so I don't mind the upside down image...

A little more light loss with the letus35 but other then that.. It's great...

Thierry H. Fortier
May 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Phil (using Thierry computer)