View Full Version : FCP Audio Preview Problem

Doug DeFrank
March 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Hello all. I'm new to the forums and I think this is a great place to start. I recently imported video footage in Final Cut Pro 5. The problem I'm having is that when I go to play the movie back in either the Viewer or the Canvas, there is no sound. The VU meter moves, but I can't hear the audio when playing back.

I have a brand new system. PowerMac G5 Quad with 2GB RAM. I just installed Final Cut Studio from scratch and haven't changed any settings.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I searched the forums to see if this was posted previously, but unfortunately, I came up short.

Thanks!
Doug

Zach Mull
March 30th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Check your Audio/Video Settings (cmd+opt+Q) and see where you're sending your audio on playback. If you have a deck or a camera connected without speakers, and you had it powered on when you started Final Cut, it's likely that FCP is sending your audio there.

Doug DeFrank
March 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Well, for Audio Playback, FireWire DV was selected. I changed it to Built-In Audio, and that didn't help, at first. After tinkering for a few seconds I realized that my speaker volume was turned way down. I turned it up and verified that the "Built-In-Audio" was still set. It was and the video sounds fine in the viewer now.

A little embarassed right now, but at least I was pointed in the right direction. Thanks Zach.

Zach Mull
March 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM
There are only a couple other things I know that would disable your audio. The most obvious in FCP would be that you've disabled the tracks (with the circular green "audible" buttons on the left side of the timeline) or hit some solo or mute buttons (to the left of the audible buttons if you've turned on the audio controls). If you opened the audio mixer, it's possible that you turned the master level down, but that seems impossible if you're seeing levels in the meters. You could check your audio outputs in sequence settings (cmd+0 - that's a zero, I swear) and make sure that you are outputting audio. Or you could make sure that your system volume and speakers/mixer/deck/monitor/whatever are turned up.

OK good. That's what I thought, and you beat me to it.