View Full Version : GL2 and XL1S compared...

Ryan Krga
January 29th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Hello, I was watching a video today that had footage with both the GL2 and XL1S footage in it. I know the XL1S has a very cinematic look to it, but I'm not too sure about the GL2. I couldnt really make out the difference in quality between them except one looked a little more film like. But I am not sure which it was. Can anyone help me out?

Ryan Krga
January 29th, 2003, 09:48 PM
By the way, it was filmed in movie mode with both cameras.

Thanks,
Ryan Krga

Rob Lohman
January 30th, 2003, 03:41 AM
Can anyone help you out with what? I don't think any camera
has a film-look (whatever that may be). They just produce good
images imho. And there will be some differences between the
cameras, although probably very little.

Don Palomaki
January 30th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Under most shooting circumstances the images should be very close, but the GL2 may tend to default to a 'harder', more contrasty (video-ish) image and the XL1s setup may default to a slightly softer image.

Steve Nunez
January 30th, 2003, 09:28 PM
I just picked up a new GL2.....I'm an XL1S "convert" and not looking back.....the GL2 is smaller, lighter, sharper, better in low light, less expensive and utilizes newer technology....

...I know a new XL will come out..but for me the GL2 is an awesome machine at a good price...the only machine I lust for more is the new Panasonic and with JVC just announcing a new HD cam that records on MiniDV tapes- times are gonna get interesting....

..this will all hit full circle when they finally forgo tape and utilize notebook hard-drives....

drooling !!

Anyone thinking about a GL2----- run, don't walk and get one!

'Nuff Said
( a little NYC style )

Scott Silverman
January 30th, 2003, 10:14 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Don Palomaki : Under most shooting circumstances the images should be very close, but the GL2 may tend to default to a 'harder', more contrasty (video-ish) image and the XL1s setup may default to a slightly softer image. -->>>

Don,
What would cause this difference? DOF stuff, or CCD specs, or what? I own a GL2 - wonderful cam - and was wonderin what would cause the GL2 to look more video like?

Thanks!