View Full Version : external mic question

Stephen Sobel
February 3rd, 2003, 06:06 PM
I'm interested in an external mic primarily for use at school orchestras, plays, choir, etc. I'm not looking for several mics in different places - just one external mic that can pick up the sound better than the internal GL2 mic. Suggestions?

Brian M. Dickman
February 3rd, 2003, 07:30 PM
Price range? Just off the top of my head, I'd say Sennheiser MKE-300 or a full ME-66, since they're pretty much the standard.

Ken Tanaka
February 3rd, 2003, 08:41 PM
You might be interested in this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6364).

Stephen Sobel
February 3rd, 2003, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the tip on the thread. Do you prefer the Audio Technica to the Sennheiser?

Ken Tanaka
February 3rd, 2003, 09:27 PM
You have to be careful to select the correct type of mic for the job. The Senn ME-66, for example, is a directional mic that rejects most off-axis sound. The Audio-Technica AT822 is a more omnidirectional stereo mic that records 2 discreet channels of sound, similar to what the onboard GL2 mic does. Attempting to record "...school orchestras, plays, choir.." with a single mic might make the AT822 a better choice for the job, depending on how you plan to configure your mic's location.

There are several current lengthy threads on this topic that should be easy to snag with Searches on "external mic" or "choir".

Don Palomaki
February 4th, 2003, 06:00 AM
The elements in the AT-822/825 have a cardiod piclyup pattern. They give good pickup of the on-stage perfromers and tend to reject the sound of the audience while maintaining a stereo sound field. Great for musical ensembles.

But better for dialog would be a good shotgun close to the talent or that follows the talent as they move. Wireless is also good, but can get costly and complicates with several performenrs.