View Full Version : What does JVC GR-HD1U use?

Yegor Sak
April 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I assume it doesn't use MiniDV.... since I couldn't find any mention of it. What kind of medium DOES it use?

Marco Ba
April 25th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Do you mean the tape format? - Yes, it is mini dv.

Marco

Yegor Sak
April 26th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Yah I meant the medium. So it does use miniDV..... interesting.

How does it fair against Sony VX2100, (other than the fact that its got HD)?

David Kennett
April 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM
JVCs HDV format has 3 times the pixels of ANY SD cam - it's just flat-out SHARPER. It may be confusing that HDV uses DV tape, but the data on the tape is completely different. It is captured with firewire, but the data is entirely different, and cannot be captured or edited with standard DV software.

Yegor Sak
April 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Ahhh, so it cannot be captured with a standard Svideo cable?

What about external mcis? Does this cam have a 3.5mm mic jack port?

Would you recommend this camera over Sony VX2100? I dont really need HD (its just nice to have), so lack of it on the VX2100 isn't a problem.

Ken Hodson
April 26th, 2006, 11:52 PM
You can still capture video using Svideo, it would be downsampling the image of course. The cam also has component out, and firewire.
As to wether someone would recommend this cam over the VX2100 would depend on what the user wants. The VX2100 is much better in low light, and has much lower resolution. Do you want progressive or interlaced video? Shooting with the two cameras is about as opposite as you can get with a video cam. They are completely differant. They both use miniDV tape though.

Yegor Sak
April 27th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Im looking for a camera thats very versatile, and can be used indoors/outdoors, in all lighting conditions, and something that can give me really good quality videos, which I play to distribute on the Internet.

Giroud Francois
April 27th, 2006, 01:28 AM
the JVC is a really bad DV camera.(regarding it original price)
The only advantage, it is the first HDV camera ever built and available at a reasonable price.
And it is still the only cheap camera that can output 720p.
I am selling mine for cheap (i just buy an FX1 to complement my VX2000).
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66015
if you can buy one for cheaper than a HC1, it is still a good way to get 720p or even 480p60 for cheap. but forget it in DV mode.

Ken Hodson
April 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Yegor, I think if you read my last post you wouldn't still be asking these questions. Think of the HD10 as more of a film cam then video cam. It requires proper lighting, filters, tripods to get the images it is capable of. To me it sounds more like you want a cam that is easy to use (lots of Auto mode capability) and HD resolution does not seem like a great importance to you. Are you familiar with the differance between interlaced and progressive shooting?

Giroud Francois
April 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM
The camera you described above, looks more like a VX2100.
Easy, all purpose, good quality, low light.

Yegor Sak
April 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Ive never seen the differences myself, but I've read that 24p gives it a more film-like look.

It seems that VX2100 is the best choice at this point.