View Full Version : XM2 extended warranty

James Bright
May 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Normal warranty on my product is expiring on this month. The canon sent me a letter saying that I should pay another 247 pounds if I want to extend my warranty for another 2 years so that I can have peace of mind.
What should I do? Should I extend it?

Graham Bernard
May 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hmm . .Interesting . .

I wasn't aware that there WAS a UK warranty available for the XM2. Where did you obtain this information? As it happens I had a year's factory cover with the XM2 from Canon. Did you PAY for this extra? Where was this?

In any event do check out Domestic & General's policies. I have one. I paid it from the date of the end of 12 month warranty period. This cover is for 5 years and works out a lot less than the one you've been offered - for an extra year?

Something here doesn't add up - sorry . .

Grazie

James Bright
May 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I got a letter from the canon UK ltd. explaining that my standard warranty period is coming to an end by the end of this month and if I want to renew the cover offered by them to be extended for another 24 months, I have to pay this 247 pounds!
I am bit stretched financially at the moment and it is very difficult for me to find this money at present!
Do you feel that there are other alternatives? I can't stay without a cover because of this remove cassette error which can strike me at any moment and in that case I will be foolish to remain without any insurance!
Kindly give me suggestions.

Jim OMalley
May 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM
If you're using the "remove cassette error" as your reason for considering the extended warranty, keep in mind that many GL2/XM2 users have never experienced that error. I've had my camera for over 2 years and have not encountered it (knock wood). There have also been posts in this forum stating that Canon offers a "reduced rate" repair for this problem.