View Full Version : Canopus ProCoder questions

Barry Gilbert
August 1st, 2003, 07:57 PM
I am trying out the Canopus ProCoder program.

Everything went fine durning the install, or so I thought. I keep getting this message when I try to start the program : error #7 "Please connect the hardlock and try again"

Does anyone have an idea what I have done wrong or what I should do to correct this problem?

Thanks,
Barry

Mike Rehmus
August 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
Go to the Canopus forum and ask the question. ProCoder is fairly specialized. Probably not a lot of us use it. Testing Testing

Chris Hurd
August 3rd, 2003, 08:04 PM
Procoder uses a dongle, that might be the "hardlock." I don't see how or why a trial version would be prompting for one, however. Agree with Mike; this is a question for the pro's at the Canopus forum.

Rob Lohman
August 11th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Hardlock is indeed the same as dongle. It is looking for one. If I
remember correctly ProCoder just runs as a demo if it can't find
one. If you can get into the application you have no problem.

David Hurdon
March 19th, 2004, 08:33 AM
I became aware today that Procoder has an Express version for $60 that includes a plug-in for 6.5/Pro. I'm wondering if it does its encoding faster or better than the Main Concept1.3b/WME plug-ins? I'm particularly interested in the QT output since there is no way to do it well (file size to quality ratio) without the relatively expensive Squeeze software.

David Hurdon

Rob Lohman
March 20th, 2004, 05:39 AM
In my opinion the ProCoder MPEG2 encoder is definitely better
than the MainConcept one. BUT, do check out the exact
specifications of the product before buying to know for sure you
are getting what you want (express must have some things less
then the full version). Then again, $60 might not be too much
to take a "chance".

David Hurdon
March 23rd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Thanks Rob. I did buy it and have played some with it. It does the best job of QT files I've seen without the Sorensen Squeeze version of the codec (pro), although my results were washed out compared to wmv running side by side, and the file size double that of the MS format. Still the best ratio of quality to size I've been able to make. It also does a very nice MPEG-2, and I'll take the time to test its speed versus Main Concept when I can. I do a lot of web/CD encoding and having the extra tool kit is worth the price. One feature that grabbed me was its variety of input types. I imported a 500 kbps wmv and re-encoded it to 106 kbps wmv. This is a one-minute, fast cuts, camera moves piece and considering that, the results were amazing. I was looking for a way to repurpose for the web many hours of seminar material the client wanted (and got) on CD, done at 500 kbps. This is it, and compared to the cost of recapturing and exporting 18 hours of DV material they're giving it away. I'm told Windows Movie Maker 2 will do the same thing, but not on win2kpro, which is my O/S.

David Hurdon

Andrew Kiu
April 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Canopus Product detail missing on B&H ??!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=312378&is=REG

Is this a package with Canopus DV RAPTOR RT 2 MAX with EDIUS 2 ???

I send email to B&H and no answer....

Frank Granovski
April 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM
They are probably closed now. It's after 9:00 PM in NY. I'm sure they'll reply tomorrow.

Jason Bixby
August 31st, 2005, 07:40 AM
i hear that for the fastest encoding speed, you should use two hard drives. One where the source file is and the other when you want the encoded files to go. I want to use raptor drives. Regarding the source drive and the drive where files are, does it matter if the source drive is a raptor drive or not. Will using a regular 7200 rpm drive as the source give me the same speed as if i was using a raptor.

Jason Bixby
September 1st, 2005, 09:30 AM
no one can help

Glenn Chan
September 1st, 2005, 01:02 PM
Unless your encoder is close to real-time speed, I doubt having 2 10k rpm drives over 2 7200rpm drives would help. Even then, you'd get a very maginal speed increase.

Will using a regular 7200 rpm drive as the source give me the same speed as if i was using a raptor.
The raptor is obviously a faster drive.
But if the bottleneck is not in the hard drive (which it probably isn't), there's a neglible speed difference between the two.

2- If you want to see if a faster hard drive would help, you could try doing your own test using a software RAM drive (i.e. RAMdisk).

Maybe someone has done their own test.

Jose Skaf
May 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM
HI all:

I have a problem I havenīt been able to get by for a couple of months. After exporting from Avid Xpress to QTRef I encode my videos with Canopus ProCoder, but the final result has a strange effect on the aspect ratio. It puts two black lines on each side of the video and squeez it a bit. This happens with when converting to every formant: QT, WM, DV, etc...

Any help on this?

Dan Euritt
May 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM
could it be a problem with the qtref format? i'd be looking to frameserve off of the xpress timeline to procoder with the satish workaround, or if that's not possible, export in the same format(dv?) that the footage was shot in originally.

some of the formats you quoted, i.e., wm(windows media?), are typically for web use only, so be sure that you are using square pixels for a format that'll be played back on a computer only.

Jose Skaf
May 8th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Ok fixed the problem!!
Thanks a lot!

Arve Hansen
December 18th, 2006, 05:46 AM
What is the different between Procoder express and Procoder 2.0?
Can you use procoder 2.0 in Edius 4?

David Andrews
December 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
ProCoder Express encodes and burn one at a time. ProCoder enables you to batch process many jobs. Information here:
http://www.canopus.com/products/ProCoderSW/index.php

Paulo Teixeira
February 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM
http://syphaonline.com/SYPHAnewsitems2007/SYPHAnews20070212-01.html
AVCHD compatible

John Richard
February 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Procoder 3.0 has not been released yet as the title indicates. I think the author meant to state Procoder 3.0 "Press" release.

There are many of us eagerly awaiting this new version of a wonderful transcoder - I got all excited when I saw this posting title only to see that it was just the press release from earlier this week.

Recent posting from Grass Valley/Canopus over at their forum is the release may be sometime between now and June.

Peter Jefferson
February 13th, 2007, 11:58 PM
lets just hope they fix up the progressive scan issues.. particuarly with letterboxed material..

import progressive DV AVI, encode down to mpg 2 and watch the black edges... totally unacceptable..

admittedlay its one of the cleanest encoders, but i think i'll stick with CCE

Mike Downey
March 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
http://syphaonline.com/SYPHAnewsitems2007/SYPHAnews20070212-01.html
AVCHD compatible

You will beable to see it at NAB. Come by the booth and say hi :)

Mike

Miguel Lombana
March 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Anyone else in the same boat that I am, stuck in 32bit windows world with a machine that can run 64bit and unable to upgrade because some key apps, such as Procoder won't run on 64bit Vista or XP-64?

Curious to know what anyone is using while Canopus (Grass Valley) figures out the next step and provides a 64bit upgrade for Procoder.

Thanks in advance,