View Full Version : Non-Canon flash unit

Chris Fangio
February 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Hi there,

I have an ten year old PHILIPS flash unit and no camera to use it for. So I looked at the flash unit, looked to my XM2, looked back to the flash unit and though "hey, let's give it a try"

But: could it do any damage to the XM2 or the flash unit? Does it have to be a Canon flash which is really expensive? It fits mechanically, but does it fit electronically also?

Don't wanna push the photo button before you tell me to do so <lol>. This acessory shoe is a mystery to me and any explanations are very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Scott Silverman
February 13th, 2003, 10:57 PM
I tried using my 10+ year old SunPak flash in my GL2 (I just tried it, didn't worry 'bout harming the cam...I guess I should have) with no success whatsoever. I don't think it will harm your cam at all, but I doubt it will work. I think Canon rigged it so you HAVE to buy one of their nice, expensive Speedlites. So if you are concerned about harming your cam, just don't try it because I can just about guarantee it wont work. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Don Palomaki
February 14th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Probably needs to be a flash that is fully Canon Speedlite compatible.. Not sure if there is such a beast. Check the photo shops for this. Maybe Subpak, Vivitar, or Metz offer one?

Adrian Douglas
February 15th, 2003, 01:02 AM
The only non-canon flashes that will work with the XL and I suppose the GL/XMs are third party flashes that are EOS dedicated. I have a StarBlitz DFC 300 that is EOS dedicated and worked with my XL1. If your Phillips flash is EOS dedicated then it should work, if not then I wouldn't bother. You won't do any damage to either, they just won't communicate.

Chris Fangio
February 15th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. So I'll have to go for an EOS-compatible unit and give it a try. Perhaps I'll find one which is cheaper than an original Canon flash.

Chris