View Full Version : Pics of GL2 with Rode Vid Mic?

Adam Bray
June 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Anyone have pics of their GL2 with a Rode Vid Mic on it?

Graham Bernard
June 7th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Anyone have pics of their GL2 with a Rode Vid Mic on it?

Seesshhh . .I did have and now I can't FIND it!! Bum!!

Anyways, what is your question?

G

Graham Bernard
June 7th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Ah-Hah! Found 'em ..

These were for a review I did. I also, unfairly, compared it WITH my Senni66.

The RodeVidMic now goes everywhere with me!

Pics have been down rezzid for web=here!

Grazie

Adam Bray
June 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
What kind of sunshade is that you have?

Graham Bernard
June 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM
What kind of sunshade is that you have?

The Kestrel Bellows Matte Box. I've had it adapted to hold an extra filter tray. So that's 1xRotator and 2xStatics.

http://www.truelens.co.uk/matte/kestrel.htm

Grazie

Prech Marton
June 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Those external mics looks great. What type, and price?
Why do you use 2 of them?

Graham Bernard
June 8th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Those external mics looks great. What type, and price?
Why do you use 2 of them?

1/- As I said above, here I was doing a comparison review: Rode Video Mic and Senni66. I ganged them both via my MA300 adaptor. Senni was "brighter". But I now, mostly, use the RODE VideoMic. I have to have a really good reason to choose the Senni - I mean it! Under "normal" circumstances there is no need to utilise 2 "similar" forward facing mics. . . However . . I HAVE produced some amazing audio doing this. Utilising both tracks and mixing in post I've achieved a type of quality and depth that gives my videos a fuller, cleaner and responsive to audio fx-ing that I didn;t before.

2/- Pricing? Senni66+K6 module = 3 times the price of the Rode!! - Oh yes1 PLUS the foam RODE cover comes within the price of the RODE. The Senni is another £30! !

Grazie

Denny Bryant
July 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Ah-Hah! Found 'em ..

These were for a review I did. I also, unfairly, compared it WITH my Senni66.

The RodeVidMic now goes everywhere with me!

Pics have been down rezzid for web=here!

Grazie

What zoom controller are you using & do you recommend that particular make/brand/etc?

Graham Bernard
July 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM
What zoom controller are you using & do you recommend that particular make/brand/etc?

The one in the pic is the Canon ZR1000.

The one I now use, almost entirely, is the Manfrotto 541Pro. The advantage for me is that the Frotti has a PUSH Focus. This means that IF you have MF engaged on the XM2, pushing the MF section on the Frotti LANC will momentarily switch to AUTO Focus, I get a snap to real sharp focus, and then I release and MF snaps back into play. Truly essential if you are at arms stretch-length away from the XM2 Focus ring! The one thing it does lack is an Exposure dial-in. I still have to get my hand around to the XM2 dial.

Now, for the XM2 it was the 541Pro. You have to be very careful WHAT camera and make you are considering it for. Some makes and models DON'T allow for the AF<>MF option.

Grazie

Dale Guthormsen
July 17th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Grazie,

I always love seeing peoples kit!!

Almost two years ago you recomennded the rode to me. I use it religiously on my gl2 and it does a truly fine job!! I would recommend it at any time. I actually prefer it to the mic on the xl2 which I have heard is a senn.

Curiously, what head are you using on the solo tripod??

I am curious about what advantage the matt box has over the standard shade and screw on filters!! I am shooting more and more indoor events from sports to weddings and wonder if it would enhance what I am shooting.

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Hiyah Dale! Good init??!?

Dale you have email!

G

Richard M. Hunter
July 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
does the rode video mic work with the GL2 hot shoe? How does it compare to the canon video mic? I am looking for an easy to use short shotgun for capturing live performances, on a tripod. It needs to have a pretty high SPL rating, as these rock shows can be deafening. I really want a nicer shotgun mic for dialog, (Audio technica, or Senn, or [im melting] neumann) but then I'd need to get a phantom power beachtek or similar. And for these low paying gigs, such a nice mic is not necessary.

thanks

Graham Bernard
July 31st, 2007, 01:20 PM
does the rode video mic work with the GL2 hot shoe?

No. It is only used as a method of attaching to the camera. As soon as you plug in the mini jack into the record socket, the hot shoe is dead.

How does it compare to the canon video mic?

Dunno, never used one.

I am looking for an easy to use short shotgun for capturing live performances, . . . .

Sorry, can't help you with the rest, other than to say the Rode Vid Mic is outstanding for the price point and its flexibilty.

Grazie

Richard M. Hunter
July 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM
just checked rode's site, it seems this mic can handle 134DB spl, even without phantom power. that is pretty high.

i just might be sold!