View Full Version : Edius -- various questions

Robert Knecht Schmidt
March 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM
After many years it seems Canopus is finally putting the finishing touches on their improved version of Rex Edit/Storm Edit. Called EDIUS, details are available on their web page.

http://www.canopus.com

It doesn't look like pricing has been announced yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's as expensive or more expensive than packages like Vegas 4. My question is, will it include a free or nearly-free upgrade to what is hopefully an imminent HD version? (It does mention "free updates and point releases"...)

The "protestor march" ad banner is humorously accurate.

Rick Spilman
March 12th, 2003, 04:50 PM
I believe introductory pricing is $299 until August 31 with $599 thereafter.

Looks like a decent package, not ground breaking but most of what Storm and RT users have been asking for for literally years.

If it is stable, it will be great. We'll have to wait and see. Said to start shipping in May.

Mike Rehmus
September 12th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Edius users can download Edius 1.5 for free from the Canopus web site.

Mike Rehmus
September 12th, 2003, 10:22 PM
And it is a major improvement from my preliminary testing.

Mark Paschke
August 23rd, 2004, 12:53 AM
I have DLed their trial version to check out since they now support the JVC HD10 , I like their layout and effects and workflow but I am not liking not being able to find anything about AC-3 or 5.1 sound.

Being a Vegas 5 user this is simple stuff ,maybe I just dont know where to look since I see nothing in their Help, Forums, or anywhere.

Surely someone making a NLE for HD would not leave out its partner 5.1 sound would it?

Peter Jefferson
August 31st, 2004, 11:30 AM
edius - no it doesnt..

as for the JVC HD... the mpg video is already muxed with compressed mp audio..
Dolby would never put their name to a unit as such until the bitrates and encoders conform to DD standards.

Some new direct to dvd handycams carry DD due to the fact that the bitrate conforms.. but that also means that the audio is ALREADY compressed, so any further processes may deteriorate the end product.

FYI These recorded bitrates are usaully in stereo, therefore theyd be runnin 192kbps to conform to DD. but even so, re processing this to 6 channels may deteriorate due to the fact that 2 channels are mixed as 6, then re compressed into 1 ac3...

As for getting the most out of the LFE channel with that bitrate, u can forget it.. youll just get a mush of low end garble.. u prolly could get away with it, bu i wouldnt bother

Darren Kelly
January 17th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Hi folks,

At DV Expo 2004 I witnessed the unveiling of the Canopus Edius NX. I ordered one, and a computer almost upon return, and I thought I would post a little review.

I finally managed to assemble the computer over the past few weeks. I will tell you Canopus sells a bundle with a computer included and I would recommend you go that way. The computer is a little challenging to build, basically sourcing the parts and getting it right. I didn't really save much over the bundle, a few hundred in money = a few weeks of frustration.

Any way past the computer let me tell you about the system.

The Edius software has come a long way since introduction. It is a fully functioning editor, that is very easy to learn and use.

The Canopus system is capable of editing either the native MPEG2ts file, which you can capture from the camera, or convert on the fly to Canopus's HQ coedec.

The HQ codec allows more real time, and more frame accurate editing. The basic reason for capturing it in another codec is frame accuracy. You see HDV's MPEG2ts relies on a codec that cannot by nature be frame accurate.. You can use it - no probem, but the HQ codec produced little if any difference in picture.

You can edit in realtime for most of your normal functions. I've done a Picture in Picture, with Drop shadow, over an image with a 3D transition and a title in RT.

If you have to render, on a dual Xeon 3.2, you don't have time for a bathroom break.

The quality of the image is outstanding, and I have found Canopus very helpful during our build process.

In short, I would totally endourse this system. Our new DVD, The JumpStart Guide to the Sony FX1/Z1U will be edited on this system.

We are receiving a Z1U tomorrow for the DVD, so it will be great.

Cheers

DBK

Chris Hurd
January 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the report, Darren. Back in the day before DV Info Net, I used to do a lot of contractual work for Canopus (and numerous trade shows for them) and I've always felt them to be a superb company. Hiro Yamada is a very sharp fellow whom I've always looked up to and the U.S. office in San Jose is an excellent team of folks. Glad to see they're meeting the HDV revolution head-on in typical Canopus fashion. Looking forward to more,

Darren Kelly
January 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM
What's cool about Canopus USA is that they are 24 people, who must work their A$$'s off.

I am very impressed with the technology, and I think the scalability is a great place to start. Their rebate to Storm users is very proactive, and even on a stand alone purchase, it's a great deal.

Cheers

DBK

Kevin Shaw
June 3rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
After several weeks of fretting over how to handle HDV footage from a Sony FX1 camera, my brother and I figured out that we can do basic editing of native M2T files using Canopus Edius on modest single-processor PCs. I've been saying for a while that I didn't think working on native HDV was a good idea, but now that I've done it I see it's not that bad.

So here's how it worked out: we couldn't get capture to the Canopus HQ codec to work reliably on our current computers, so we tried capturing the native footage using the Canopus MPEGCapture utility. From there we simply pulled the M2T files into Edius and dropped them on the timeline, then played around with that to see what we could do. My brother was able to play color-adjusted clips in real time on his 3.2 GHz PC with a two-drive RAID, and that's as far as we've tried to push it for now. Clearly a dual-processor computer would be helpful for working with any HD/HDV footage, but at least we've got a functional starting solution.

Erik Walth
February 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I have a question regarding canopus edius. Does the "print to tape" function work on the JVC BR-HD50 ? Direct from the timeline via firewire ? Or must the edited footage go through some format change first. The question regards HDV capture in the Canopus HQ format.
Have been searching everywhere canīt finde the answer, maby I am lucky here.
Thanks in advance
erik

Douglas Spotted Eagle
February 11th, 2006, 07:13 PM
To print to tape, you MUST render back to m2t. Canopus Edius can do this. so, you'll have to render from the NX codec to m2t so that the deck can read it.

Erik Walth
February 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Thank you Douglas.

I read it and I did it, and look at the magic .!

It is nice to have a pro at hand when the going gets tough.

thanks again
Erik

Scott Vystrcil
April 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Just got this email from Canopus saying that Edius 4 will be released in June 2006. It will be a $199 upgrade for current v3 users and if you bought v3 since April 1, 2006 it's free. Here is the link to the new features.

http://www.canopus.com/products/EDIUSPro/newfeatures.php

David Parks
April 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
It looks like they're making Edius a little more respectible in terms of interface. Like for example, they are adding a trim window, real audio pan functions, some color correction, better time line mode, overall it looks a lot better. I've got 3.61 and Avid Xpress HD 5.2.3. I have Edius because it does 24p from JVC HD 100, but the trimming and editing is certainly not what I;m used to in Avid.

Cheers

Scott Vystrcil
April 24th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I am looking forward to this upgrade. I don't use anything else but Edius, so it will be nice to get some enhancements. The interface does look cleaner. And having the HDV plug-in, built-in is cool too.

Brian Luce
May 3rd, 2006, 01:13 AM
what version of edius is required to edit with the hd100? presumably it'd be a version with teh HQ codec.

David Parks
May 3rd, 2006, 06:49 AM
Brian,,

Edius 3.61 works with the HD 100. It captures m2t with it calls a MPEG writer. It also captures 24p. According to their website version 4 is supposed to ship in June.

Milosz Krzyzaniak
June 7th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Can somebody state whether will it have an option to make use of Premiere video effect plugins?

In my opinion such an option would widen its usability greatly as most of the serius plugins are designed for Premiere use.

David Andrews
June 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Almost certainly it will not.

Boris Red and Adorage plugins work with Edius.

Steven Dempsey
June 13th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Anyone using Pro or Broadcast with their XLH1? I'm curious as to how it natively supports the camera.

John Richard
June 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Edius, since version 3.61, supports the CanonH1 in HDV at all 3 frame rates including 24f.

And you do not need to spend the extra coin for the Broadcast version.

Brian Bang Jensen
June 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I have edited, using Edius pro3.61, some footage from an H1, it works fine.
When imported to the bin, the program converts, in real time, the files to its own format.( Canopus HQ codec)
This involves a higher bitrate and a 4:2:2 colour sampling.
The original material isn’t going to benefit from the 4:2:2 sampling, but your graphics will!!

Shawn Alyasiri
August 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi. I've had the FS100 for a few weeks now and I've been able to do some testing, as well as two longer form shoots (45-70 minutes) in DVCPRO50/P2 mode, with the Panny SPX800 camera.

I've had some difficulty here/there getting synchro slave to start jiving, but once it clicks in, it's been fine.

However, I am noticing audio 'pops' or 'ticks' in the content when I place it on my Edius SP system, running 3.61. It has been a very stable system.

I have not noticed dropouts or any other significant problems, and the audio sync and color looks just fine. Every once in a while, there's a little tick that shows up, and it's always in the same place. Even if I export that section as a .wav file and open it in Sound Forge, you can see the little 'tick'.

I've posted this on the Canopus forum as well - but wanted to see if there was any news/thoughts from the Focus/Panny camps as well. I'm 99.2% there, but it's hard to completely certify this as my best workflow, if I have to hunt for ticks. BTW - the data from the P2 cards is clean...

Any thoughts?

Also - I got my larger capacity cradles for the FS4's/FS100 today. They allow the use of the thicker/extended FS batteries. They seem to work very well for the new batts, as well as the legacy batts...

Thanks much,
Shawn

Matt McEwen
August 29th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Shawn,

Did you see if the pops/clicks are present in P2 Viewer?

Thanks,

Matt

Alan David
December 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I have footage (16:9) (Not HD shot with a canon XL 2) recorded on a Firestore FS 4 and want to edit it in Edius. I have Edius 1.5 in a PC whit my storm card? I am getting old and am having trouble learning all this new stuff.

David Andrews
December 9th, 2006, 06:40 AM
You should be able to edit that in the 16:9 format with v1.5. My recollection is that it has always been one of the formats available. Just make sure that you select that format when you set up your project.

Arve Hansen
December 21st, 2006, 03:26 AM
What plugins for Edius are you using?

Arve Hansen
December 22nd, 2006, 02:00 AM
Looks like Borisfx.com have some god stuff? Some better titiling.

Ray Saavedra
December 22nd, 2006, 02:32 AM
I've been checking out the site below since Adorage came with my Edius 4. The Vitascene looks very promising since it has something like the Magic Bullet Film Looks.

http://www.prodad.de/gb/host_plugins-canopus-edius.html

Ray

Arve Hansen
December 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Installed det Videofx demo, but can't find it under transistions.
Anyone know whats wrong. Wont to try it before buy.

Alexis Vazquez
January 19th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Hi, just to notify all DVinfo Edius users that Grass Valley/Canopus has just release a new update for Edius. You must logon to your account (at canopus dot com) in order to download. Here some fix details from the readme me file:

Fixed issue in rendering when using files captured by QuickCapture.
Fixed pull down menu issue that closes when opening batch capture dialog box.
Fixed issue when creating new project (a new folder was created in wrong directory).
Fixed issue that "Convert 16Bit/2ch" does not work.
Fixed Windows shutdown issue after using EDIUS.
Fixed rendering issue that EDIUS freezes on rendering, when the timeline includes many TGA files.
Fixed hanging issue when exporting DV25 format in XDCAM DV proxy mode.
Fixed issue with speed change (field flip occurred).
Fixed disappearing folder issue when making a new project (folder name is the same as the file name).
Fixed capture issue when time code skipped over 0h (24h).
Fixed information palette issue (source time code info was wrong).
Fixed export to tape issue when exporting after preview (the image was black).
Fixed issue with 5.1ch Dolby audio decoding.
Fixed issue with partial rendering (rendering unnecessary areas).
Fixed rendering issue that EDIUS freezes if mouse cursor is on rendered area during rendering.
Fixed issue that can not select "over load area in MPEG(HDV) rendering format in HD60i.
Fixed issue that VWS data becomes off-line when loading project file saved EDIUS Pro 3 with EDIUS Pro 4.

Enjoy

Alexis

Juan Oropeza
January 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Alexis,

Thanks for the heads up!

I quickly headed over to the Canopus forums and took notice of what others have experienced from this update. As a result of this, I think I will wait a while before updating. I'm very happy with version 4.03, it doesn't miss a beat with my workflow.

Juan

Mark P. Stuart
January 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
i recall early versions of edius required manually setting 16:9 in the clip properties

Arve Hansen
January 29th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Who is the best titler to use with Edius 4 and Why?
Motion pro
Blufftitler
Ulead 3D studio?
Are there more i could try?

Paul Wags
January 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Go and download Heroglyph by ProDad.
http://www.heroglyph.com/
Works really well with EDIUS.

Piotr Wozniacki
February 5th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Each time I launch Edius (TBYB), the process wmiprvse.exe occupies some 20% of CPU resources, even with the PC doing nothing - does anyone know why?

Adam Grunseth
February 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I use edius alot both for my day job and at home for wedding videos I do on the side and can usually troubleshoot most issues I have with it.

I am working on putting together a website for myself and thought it would be a good idea to put my demo reel on my website. Now unfortunately my demo only exists as a DVD format, usually I just copy the DVD when I need to show it to a client. In order to put it on the web I of course need to capture the video from the DVD. I tried to use the Edius Disc capture utility, which captured the video just fine.... but there was no audio.

Next I tried to use procoder, selecting the VOB file on the dvd... once again the video came in just fine, but no audio. The audio is there when I play the DVD, and there is no copy protection on the dvd.

FYI, I am using Edius pro 4 running on windows vista at home- but the same thing happens using the computers at my day job using Edius 3 on XP machines.

Vaughan Wood
February 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
You didn't say what format your audio was in.

Don't forget Edius really can't handle AC 3, and it'll need to be converted back to WAV file to bring into Edius.

Cheers Vaughan

Adam Grunseth
February 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The audio may be AC3 format.... it was quite some time ago that I made the DVD.... I used Adobe Audition for the authoring/encoding but I do not recall what I did with the audio. Usually I try to avoid using AC3 audio due to compatibility issues in some software DVD players, but I made the demo disk so long ago I do not recall what my audio settings were.

So assuming the audio is AC3, is there any type of workaround or freeware programs that will allow me to get my video & audio back off the disk?

Ron Evans
February 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM
DVDLab, Ulead Moviefactory, Womble, may be others too. All these have a trial version that you can use for I think 30 days. DVDlab will extract for re-authoring but the files are available for editing too by other apps, Ulead and Womble will allow editing and re-authoring. All will manage ac3 too.

Ron Evans

Raimis Sausainis
March 6th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Why doesn't work Edius 4 with Vista Premium? Thanks for advice.

John Richard
March 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Much of what an NLE uses from the OS (such as Direct X) has been completely changed in Vista.

With the long development time and many code rewrites of Vista, writing such a massive driver change and testing was delayed. Vista versions are in development per GV.

The upcoming Procoder 3 version is reported to be Vista compatible.