View Full Version : FCP 4.5 Capture problem

Gary Mckinstry
June 20th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Hi guys

I am trying to capture footage into fcp 4.5 when I get the message that "capture has encountered a problem reading the data on the source tape. This could be due to a problem with the tape. capture has been aborted and the clip has been saved. " However the tape is not the problem as I can play the tape in imovie. I even captured some in imovie and imported it into fcp no problem.

I can capture up to a couple of minutes before I get this message.

I believe it must be someting to do with settings. I am set up for firewire pal .
I am using 2.3 G5 dual with 1 gb ram.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Many thanks

Gary

John Doran
June 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Hi gary

check out the capture settings, and untick the timecode one, might be that.

john
belfast

Brian Rich
June 25th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Hey Gary did you ever come up with a solution to that problem? Because i am getting the exact same error message, and i have had no luck solving it. Its not a timecode issue , I know that, but it seems to be getting worse and its impossible to work at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary Mckinstry
June 29th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Hi Brian

No I haven't found a solution yet but I have not been trying. I am just too busy at the moment that I have had to use imovie and prem pro on the pc. Hopefully I will have time over this weekend and if I find a solution I will let you know.

Regards

Gary

Sergi Bosch
November 27th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Hi Brian

No I haven't found a solution yet but I have not been trying. I am just too busy at the moment that I have had to use imovie and prem pro on the pc. Hopefully I will have time over this weekend and if I find a solution I will let you know.

Regards

Gary

hey, guys, i've just run into this problem. i ended up capturing from the camera (an xl-2) directly to the hard drive. something i bought a deck to avoid doing. but it worked. now i want to figure out what the problem is so i can avoid this error in the future. here is the Error Message i get from FCP when i try to capture this footage from my Sony dvcam deck: "capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. this could be due to a problem with the tape. capture has been aborted and your clip has been saved." i imagine it is a timecode issue, and will research this some more.