View Full Version : Shake Universal price reduction (merged threads)

Nate Schmidt
June 20th, 2006, 08:01 AM
http://www.apple.com/shake/ the price is 500 US I think that's cheaper than before can anyone confirm

June 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Read this on WSJ.com this morning -

- - -

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Apple Inc. (AAPL) released the new version of its compositing software, Shake 4.1, and cut its price to $499 from $2,999.

The Cupertino, Calif., said the software, which works in conjunction with its Final Cut Pro video software, adds a full range of operations for simple re-touching to complex 3D compositing.

- - -

I thought this might be a mistake and/or the pricing for an upgrade from a previous version. But looking at Apple's site and also seeing "Without breaking the budget" in the description, $499 appears to be the new price for the full version -

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA434Z%2FA

Nice!

Matthew Wauhkonen
June 20th, 2006, 08:04 AM
It used to be $2,999.

Nick Jushchyshyn
June 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Yup.
Universal and $1500 price cut.
Sweet. :)

Greg Boston
June 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Unbelievable! I thought that was an upgrade price but no, it's the real deal.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA434Z/A

-gb-

Levan Bakhia
June 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM
is this the same functional software that I payed $3000 for? Maybe it has some limitations than the bigger version.

:*) well great news....

Nick Jushchyshyn
June 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah ... would be a big time bummer for anyone that paid $2999 yesterday. :p

This *IS* the bigger version. The Educationally priced version is $249.
You only pay more if you want it on a non-OSX platform. :)

Martin Costa
June 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I've just called apple uk as the price is still £1999 on the uk site, and the guy at Apple said it was a pricing mistake? Hopefully he's just misinformed.

Jeff Sayre
June 20th, 2006, 09:53 AM
This was a wonderful surprise to me this morning! I have been eyeing Shake for sometime and was inches away from buying it. In fact, just 36 hours ago, I lost an eBay auction for an unopened, full-fledged version of Shake 4.

I lost by US$25. My bid was US$1875--which at the time was a great deal. I'm so glad that I lost. I would be kicking my self this morning for having made an unexpected $1375 mistake! I feel sorry for the person who won.

Of course, as soon as Apple's online store had updated the price cut this morning (which was about at 9 am EST), I placed my order!

Jeff Kilgroe
June 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM
AAAAAARRRRRGH!!!!

I just bought a second license of Shake about 60 days ago. Oh, well... At least upgrades should be cheaper from here on out. :-/

Dean Sensui
June 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
... Not 16% off, but at 16% of its original price. Was $2999. Now $499.

"Shake 4.1, optimized to run on new Intel-based Macintosh computers, is now available at a price that will fit even tight production budgets. Used to create the world's most celebrated visual effects, Shake provides the only compositing software with a complete toolset for both single artists and visual effects facilities."

Shake was used to composite elements for movies including Lord of the Rings and King Kong.

Shake now at $499. Orcs and gorillas not included.

Nick Jushchyshyn
June 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Well ..... that's the other shoe right there.

One of the rumors floating around at the moment is that this is the end for Shake. That Apple is scrapping this set of source code and starting over with something entirely new ... there may not be another version of Shake to upgrade too.

I guess, even if this is true, Apple does have a good reputation on crossgrades. I just got the full FCS suite a couple months ago for $200 on a crossgrade from Motion2, so ... who knows .... could be good either way.

In any case, this is not a pricing mistake ... there's a seperate, full press release on the price change ... it's deliberate and real.

Cole McDonald
June 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM
corporate discounts put it just above $400 and educational discounts at $250 (with limited license).

Mark Sloan
June 20th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Word on the street is that 4.2 will be the LAST version of Shake and that Apple is working on an all new product to replace it that is supposed to be well beyond what Shake is. That is JUST rumor though.

Mike Tesh
June 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Wow! Why such a big drop in price?

Dean Sensui
June 20th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Maybe they feel sorry for us? :-)

Harrison Murchison
June 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Rumors suggest that Apple is likely going to create a new replacement for Shake due in 2008. Sounds plausible as Shake is the application that is least like other Mac apps down to the framework.

They have the tools to create a Final Cut Suite system that can attack Avid's biz at a higher level.

Harrison Murchison
June 20th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Apple should just create a Toxik killer

Doesn't Apple pretty much already contain the tools to set this up?

Core Data is a liteweight database at the heart of OS X now. If that doesn't work then Apple can certainly utilize the code being worked on by subsidiary Filemaker.

Next shouldn't integrate XSAN into the Final Cut Suite? This would allow for file-locking concurrent access and the ability to manage your storage data on or across RAID Array.

Next look at this rumor

http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2006/06/08/exclusi...aborative-documents/

If this is true then Apple may be adding the ability to collaborate with any other Mac on any file that would support this potential API. Soooo

Final Cut Studio Extreme with XSAN and a deeply embedded database with hooks into the OS X Core Data database all wrapped up in systemwide collaboration toolsets.

It'd take a few years to smooth out but man you get a few kick arse digital video mavens working in realtime and this suite would be worth i

Tom Chaney
June 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I have heard similar info as well.

Tom

Jeff Sayre
June 21st, 2006, 05:50 AM
Word on the street is that 4.2 will be the LAST version of Shake and that Apple is working on an all new product to replace it that is supposed to be well beyond what Shake is. That is JUST rumor though.

Did you mean 4.1? I have not heard about a planned update to Shake 4.1.

Different sources claim slightly different motives for Apple's decision to drop the price so drastically. The one detail they have in common, though, is that Apple is focusing efforts on a new compositing engine that will be released sometime in 2008 (or so).

Here's one source: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060619205409.shtml

It's not surprising, but some people have listed their "old" Apple Shake 4.0 on eBay for $1000 or more. One sneaky but sick lister has even listed the new universal binary version of Shake 4.1 for $1500.

Boyd Ostroff
June 21st, 2006, 08:21 AM
Moderator note: we had three threads on this topic which all pretty much covered the same ground, so they've all been combined here.

Greg Boston
June 21st, 2006, 11:15 AM
Moderator note: we had three threads on this topic which all pretty much covered the same ground, so they've all been combined here.

I started to do this yesterday but wasn't quite sure just how to go about it. Thanks for cleaning this up.

-gb-

Jeff Sayre
June 22nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
A (very) little more information on the successor to Shake:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060621173738.shtml

Harrison Freedman
June 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know if Shake 4.1 will run smoothly on the new Macbook?

Jeff Sayre
June 28th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Does anyone know if Shake 4.1 will run smoothly on the new Macbook?

Harrison:

Shake will run on your new MacBook--I assume new means Intel-based. The new MacBooks have a sufficiently fast processor to run Shake. If you have the factory configured 512MB of memory installed, you will want to boost that up. The more the better.

Now, it will be difficult to answer whether Shake will run smoothly on your MacBook. It depends on many factors, possibly the most important [other than your definition of smoothly :) ] is the complexity of your composites.

Unlike most graphics packages these days, Shake does not directly take advantage of the GPU on your video card. It harnesses the power of the CPU almost exclusively since Shake is designed as a pipeline compositing application--it seamlessly feeds from and into other production applications. What this means is that many of your composites will have to be rendered first before you can see the results. The GPU is not utilized to offer realtime previewing of your composites as it is in FCP or Motion, for example.

Therefore, the faster your processor and the more processors you have, the better performance you will get and the faster render times. Adding more memory to your system helps with that of course. If you have more than one Macintosh on a network, then you can use Apple's Qmaster application (which comes with Shake) to distribute rendering duties across your machines.

I hope that helps.

Harrison Freedman
June 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Harrison:

Shake will run on your new MacBook--I assume new means Intel-based. The new MacBooks have a sufficiently fast processor to run Shake. If you have the factory configured 512MB of memory installed, you will want to boost that up. The more the better.

Now, it will be difficult to answer whether Shake will run smoothly on your MacBook. It depends on many factors, possibly the most important [other than your definition of smoothly :) ] is the complexity of your composites.

Unlike most graphics packages these days, Shake does not directly take advantage of the GPU on your video card. It harnesses the power of the CPU almost exclusively since Shake is designed as a pipeline compositing application--it seamlessly feeds from and into other production applications. What this means is that many of your composites will have to be rendered first before you can see the results. The GPU is not utilized to offer realtime previewing of your composites as it is in FCP or Motion, for example.

Therefore, the faster your processor and the more processors you have, the better performance you will get and the faster render times. Adding more memory to your system helps with that of course. If you have more than one Macintosh on a network, then you can use Apple's Qmaster application (which comes with Shake) to distribute rendering duties across your machines.

I hope that helps.

Yes thanks. I've got the Macbook 2.0ghz Intel/1GB RAM/100GB 7200RPM so even if I have to wait lengths of time for renders it still will be useful.

Jeff Sayre
June 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Yes thanks. I've got the Macbook 2.0ghz Intel/1GB RAM/100GB 7200RPM so even if I have to wait lengths of time for renders it still will be useful.

It sounds like you will have no problem. Shake is a wonderful application--have fun!