View Full Version : best teleconverter for GL2?

Jeffry Alan
June 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
A colleague just invested in a GL2 for outdoor work where he is going to be shooting animals at several hundred yards. I suggested an external 2X adapter (one from Canon for around $90 at B and H), but unsure of quality or other options. Anyone out there have any background on these things?

thanks - J*

Graham Bernard
June 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
I suggested an external 2X adapter (one from Canon for around $90 at B and H),

Oh really? I didn't know Canon did a teleconverter? For $90? And this has a 58mm or bayonet-end?

Gotta a link? Please?

The only ones I know are:

* Century

* Sony

* Raynox

All these climb quickly above $150.

Grazie

Jeffry Alan
June 23rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Dear Graham,

The TC that I was referring to is listed on page 195 of the B and H summer 2006 catalog (which I happened to have in my backpack at the north rim of the Grand Canyon where I was working with the client), and is listed as the TL30.5 30.5mm 1.9x Telephoto Converter Lens from Canon for $89.95.

here is the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=product.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=catl30.5&image.x=6&image.y=8

J*

Jarrod Whaley
June 23rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but that converter will not fit on the GL2--the GL2 lens' diameter is 58mm.

Graham Bernard
June 24th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but that converter will not fit on the GL2--the GL2 lens' diameter is 58mm.

Dear Jeffry,

That converter has a 30.5mm diameter thread. Meaning that this is, overall, a much smaller piece of glass. Less glass normally means a lower price. The front end of our XM2 starts with a 58mm diameter thread, so already this is 1.6 bigger. Bigger diameter=more glass=money. Starting out at 58mm then for a tele things just get more expensive. It is weired that Canon - lens makers and BIG lens makers - have rolled over on this one?

Would've been good though!

I have been scouring the Internet for 2 years for a tele option. I thought for one moment you had unearthed one .. . oh well . . .

Grazie

Richard Rouillard
June 24th, 2006, 03:46 AM
I have a Canon XM1 (GL1 in U.S.) and I use a Canon C8 1.4X67 teleconverter which I used for my Canon 1014XLS Super 8 sound cine camera. the cine camera has a 67mm filter thread size and I use it on the XM1 with a 58X67mm step-up ring. I find it works very well indeed, as with the 20x optical zoom on the camera 1.4X is quite enough. I find it is better than the Sony 1.7X teleconverter made for the Sony VX1000, VX2000 or PD150/170 cameras that all have a 58mm filter thread size as you can use more of the zoom range without vignetting. The Sony one is I believe, still available, and retails for about £250 in the UK. You may want to try putting a wanted post on Ebay for either of those. they will all work and you may find the Canon 1.4X to be cheaper as it hasn't been manufactured for years I would think. There must be many people who would have bought one of those if they had that particular cine camera as it was one of the best Sound Super 8 models ever made (I still have mine). Incidentally, they also made a 0.5X wide angle converter that works equally well for video with a 58 to 67mm step-up ring.

Richard Rouillard, Guernsey, Channel Islands, GT. Britain.
CanonXM1,XL2.
(richardrouillard@newtelsurf.com.)

Jeffry Alan
June 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Upon further research I realized that the TC would need a 58mm thread, so I have already steered the client to look into the Century Precision Optics 2X teleconverter from Adorama for $400 (since no one has a more economical solution).

Thank you Richard for your suggestion, as a New Boot you have been helpful and informative.

J*

p.s. Graham, as an Old Boot with over 2000 posts and four years of prolific offering of your opinion to those who are genuinely in need of honest recommendations from working pro's, perhaps you could steer the next enquiring member to information that is actually useful?

cheers

Jeffry Alan
June 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM
repeat deleted

Graham Bernard
June 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM
p.s. Graham, as an Old Boot with over 2000 posts and four years of prolific offering of your opinion to those who are genuinely in need of honest recommendations from working pro's, perhaps you could steer the next enquiring member to information that is actually useful?

cheers

Thank you for your comments. I shall attempt to do better in the future. I still want a suitable 58mm TC.

Best regards,

Grazie

Meryem Ersoz
June 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
jeffry, here's some info that you might find useful...

1) use the search engine...this topic has been beaten to death!

2) be nice to the folks who are trying to help you, even when they make errors. grazie is a sweet, helpful guy. one of the great things about making vids is that no one knows everything, and we're all always learning....

3) the C.O 2x is probably the best piece of glass out there for extending the reach of the GL2, and if you wanted a used one, you could probably run a WTB in the classifieds section. it shouldn't be tough to find. it's always good to look here first. this site has saved me a ton of $$ over time.

Jeffry Alan
June 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
jeffry, here's some info that you might find useful...

1) use the search engine...this topic has been beaten to death!

2) be nice to the folks who are trying to help you, even when they make errors. grazie is a sweet, helpful guy. one of the great things about making vids is that no one knows everything, and we're all always learning....

3) the C.O 2x is probably the best piece of glass out there for extending the reach of the GL2, and if you wanted a used one, you could probably run a WTB in the classifieds section. it shouldn't be tough to find. it's always good to look here first. this site has saved me a ton of $$ over time.

Dear Meryem,

1) I did use the search engine, and found so much unhelpful information that I decided to post a simple query for a specific need where hopefully someone could respond to the best solution and cut through all the endless diatribe. I expect this topic will come up again in the future, and if you wanted to be helpful, you could point someone to THIS thread.

2) However sweet and helpful Graham is, he replied only with an unbelieving response, and did not offer any helpful suggestions. If you look at my original post, I wasn't asking for the most economical solution, just a starting point for my research and some advice. I was asking about the Canon specifically because the description in the catalog I had lacked tech specs, and I was curious about quality (where forums are usually very useful) and any other considerations from working pro's. I wasn't attacking sweet Grazie (although I felt and still feel attacked!) but instead had to defend my information, and still was not offered any solution until Richard responded.

3) Where did you get the idea that I wanted a used one? My client was completely satisfied with my recommendation and was able to order one immediately, which was his primary concern.

Thank you for your advice on looking in the classifieds, (however off base), but how about a little understanding for the person who is not logging on to forums all the time and doesn't know how sweet the members are or how much disinfomation on a subject has already been published, but just point them to links which might help. or post a FAQ about the GL2 so that this kind of thing can be avoided.

peace, out -

J*

Andrew Todd
June 25th, 2006, 06:57 PM
or how much disinfomation on a subject has already been published

most misinformation on here is crushed pretty quickly.. ive always found 99.99% of the threads on here to give true reliable information and im sure you'll come to know that. the words "gl2" and "teleconverter" together in the search field will return all the answers you will ever have about teleconverters for a gl2.

Dale Guthormsen
June 25th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I have found the century 2x is as fine as you can put on a camera. It is good through most of its entire range.
I bought mine through the classifieds on theis site.

do not buy cheap, it is just a waste of money.

Jeffry Alan
June 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM
do not buy cheap, it is just a waste of money.

I agree, pay now or pay later!

J*

Jim OMalley
June 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I wasn't attacking sweet Grazie (although I felt and still feel attacked!) but instead had to defend my information, and still was not offered any solution until Richard responded.

Where did you get the idea that I wanted a used one? My client was completely satisfied with my recommendation and was able to order one immediately, which was his primary concern.

Since you asked for some help with understanding:

1. Grazie wasn't attacking you, he was expressing surprise that you discovered an inexpensive TC for the GL2 and wanted to know where you found it.

2. Meryem was simply pointing out that used equipment could be obtained through the classified section, if that was an option you wanted to pursue.

I'm happy to provide you with this helpful information.

Meryem Ersoz
June 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
i apologize for any perceived attacks on my part.

here's a link which you might find helpful.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63694&highlight=gl2+teleconverter

Mark Donnell
June 26th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I have used several teleconvertors, but strongly recommend the Century Precision Optics 58 mm 2x convertor mentioned above. Yes, it costs around $ 400 new as I remember, but it is optically very good, and you can use adaptor rings to use it on other cameras. I got mine from B & H several years ago and have had excellent results.

Jeffry Alan
June 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Meryem,

that is the thread that I found on a search that made me decide to ask the question again, since there was no definitive answer, the first TC was never identified (even after I referenced the original thread), and the topic strayed into sony converters, FX1's, 1.6's, 1.7's, back and forth to see links to pretty pictures, chats about visiting each other, etc., and finally, one of YOUR responses which led me to recommend the Century.

If Grazie or you had opined for the CO 2X in the first place then none of this egotizing would have occured, and ignoramouses like jersey jim would have had to find other threads to misinterpret.

ALERT!!! GASEOUS AND BLUSTERY RESPONSES TO FOLLOW, CONDITION NOT LIKELY TO IMPROVE, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Jarrod Whaley
June 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
EDIT: nevermind. But chill out, Jeffry. Jeez.

Jeffry Alan
June 26th, 2006, 10:35 PM
EDIT: nevermind. But chill out, Jeffry. Jeez.

dude, sorry the ALERT didn't warn you from continuing this unnecessary and obsequious dialogue, but if you didn't happen to notice it, I answered my own question, like, 12 posts ago. But I am glad that I caused you to edit your initial vitriolic response, so as not to look like you took the bait too hard.
So go home, or go to sleep, or whatever you do in Chatanooga, but let it go man, this convo is ended, and I have work to do.

J*

END OF TRANSMISSION