View Full Version : What is the "best" shutter speed for a live dance event?

Mike Barber
June 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I will be filming a live dance event, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what the ideal shutter speeds are for dance.

It will be live (belly) dancing on a stage, indoors, with a live band behind them.

I favour the manual setting (manual everything, really) and may use my wide-angle lense... maybe...

I am fairly novice, so am very open to advice from my experienced (and professional) peers.

Many thanks in advance!

Tim Johnson
June 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
i always film at 1/60 if possible, but its not always possible and probably not the best. the problem is you dont mention how the lighting is?

Mike Barber
June 25th, 2006, 01:08 PM
i always film at 1/60 if possible, but its not always possible and probably not the best. the problem is you dont mention how the lighting is?

Stage lighting... spotlights, basically.

Dale Guthormsen
June 25th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Mike,

I would shoot 30 p and I would shoot at 60 or 120. any slowry gives a lot of blur to arm and body movement. any faster than the 100 can give flicker if the movements are particularly fast.

Don Palomaki
June 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Different shutter speeds and 30P vs 60i can give a different look/feel to the video. Try a test shoot with similar movement and lighting before the event, then watch the video to see what you like best.

To my eye, standard 60i at 1/60th generally looks good on typical SD TV where movement is important.