View Full Version : Countdown

Carl Martin
June 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Can anyone please tell me how to make my own countdown in FCHDE, instaed of using the standard one that comes with FCHDE?

Thank you.

Chris Hocking
June 29th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I presume you mean the countdown that can be generated when you "print to video"?

My suggestion would be to make a custom bars, tone and countdown sequence in your projects timeline (before your main movie). Simply make the countdown using FCE's text generator. Use the test tone as the 2-1 second "beep". Then when you export, just deselect the use countdown option.

As far as I know, you can't replace FCE's existing default countdown animation.

Hope this helps!

Carl Martin
June 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I presume you mean the countdown that can be generated when you "print to video"?

My suggestion would be to make a custom bars, tone and countdown sequence in your projects timeline (before your main movie). Simply make the countdown using FCE's text generator. Use the test tone as the 2-1 second "beep". Then when you export, just deselect the use countdown option.

As far as I know, you can't replace FCE's existing default countdown animation.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Chris, it does help. I would like to make a more personal one with my company logo. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Nate Schmidt
June 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
What if you did a print to tape with the included countdown then captured the video back into Final Cut and superimpose your logo over top and then export it as a self contained quicktime that you could use in all your projects.

Carl Martin
June 29th, 2006, 06:11 PM
What if you did a print to tape with the included countdown then captured the video back into Final Cut and superimpose your logo over top and then export it as a self contained quicktime that you could use in all your projects.

Wow Nate, I think I'll give it a shot. Do you think even though I superimose my logo over the FCE logo, will I still see some of the FCE logo?

Thanks.

Chris Hocking
June 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure what the latest Final Cut Express countdown looks like, but if its anything like the original version, yes you will still see the logo.

It would probably be easier just to re-create your own countdown.

This link (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/basic_custom_countdown.html) is for a tutorial on how to create your own countdown in FCP, but the same theory applies to Express. It should only take you a couple of minutes and you can re-use it for all your projects.

To add your own logo, etc. just import a Photoshop, GIF, or JPEG file, etc. Or if you have an animated version of it, just import it as a Quicktime file.

If you're a big Photoshop fan, you could create the whole sequence in Photoshop and just import it all into Final Cut Express, then add sound.

Alternatively, you could do a search on Google for countdown animations you can download or purchase and just add your logo to it.

Good luck!

Carl Martin
June 29th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure what the latest Final Cut Express countdown looks like, but if its anything like the original version, yes you will still see the logo.

It would probably be easier just to re-create your own countdown.

This link (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/basic_custom_countdown.html) is for a tutorial on how to create your own countdown in FCP, but the same theory applies to Express. It should only take you a couple of minutes and you can re-use it for all your projects.

To add your own logo, etc. just import a Photoshop, GIF, or JPEG file, etc. Or if you have an animated version of it, just import it as a Quicktime file.

If you're a big Photoshop fan, you could create the whole sequence in Photoshop and just import it all into Final Cut Express, then add sound.

Alternatively, you could do a search on Google for countdown animations you can download or purchase and just add your logo to it.

Good luck!

Thanks much Chris.

Dave Perry
June 29th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Carl,

You can create your own countdown and use it when printing to tape. Once you have created a cool countdown leader, save it as a self contained FCP movie on your media drive. I have a folder on mine that is used for storing clips that get reused over and over again such as countdown leaders, slates, etc.

When you print to tape, you will notice the top half of the Print to Tape dialog box has a check box for Countdown. Check it then to the right of it, navigate to where you saved your countdown file and select it.

Carl Martin
June 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Carl,

You can create your own countdown and use it when printing to tape. Once you have created a cool countdown leader, save it as a self contained FCP movie on your media drive. I have a folder on mine that is used for storing clips that get reused over and over again such as countdown leaders, slates, etc.

When you print to tape, you will notice the top half of the Print to Tape dialog box has a check box for Countdown. Check it then to the right of it, navigate to where you saved your countdown file and select it.

Thanks Dave.

Chris Hocking
June 29th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Dave, on the original Final Cut Express software at least, you cannot specify a custom countdown sequence. The latest version might be different.

Carl Martin
June 30th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Dave, on the original Final Cut Express software at least, you cannot specify a custom countdown sequence. The latest version might be different.

Chris,

You now can specify with the latest version.

Chris Hocking
June 30th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Sorry Carl, I don't have the latest Express version. You'll have to check for yourself. Just follow Dave's instructions and see if you can select a custom countdown sequence. If you can, then great! Problem solved! If not, refer to my previous post; just put the bars, tone and countdown sequence at the beginning of your timeline (ie. before the feature movie). Simple!

Happy movie making! ~ Chris!

Carl Martin
June 30th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Sorry Carl, I don't have the latest Express version. You'll have to check for yourself. Just follow Dave's instructions and see if you can select a custom countdown sequence. If you can, then great! Problem solved! If not, refer to my previous post; just put the bars, tone and countdown sequence at the beginning of your timeline (ie. before the feature movie). Simple!

Happy movie making! ~ Chris!

Thanks Chris.

Carl Martin
June 30th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Well, I ended up purchasing a countdown from a stock footage library for $49.00, and the superimposed my logo over that. It looks pretty good, and it saved me some time. Thanks everyone for all the imput.

Happy 4th!!

Cemil Giray
June 30th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Thought I would show off our countdown. We use it on all our films.