View Full Version : Dirt inside the lens

Declan Smith
July 7th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I have noticed that there is a small bit of floating particle (or dut or something) on the inside of my XM2 lens. The Camera is about 2 1/2 years old so well out of warranty. Is there an easy way to get it out ? Would it be safe to take the lens assembly apart?

Don Palomaki
July 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Might it be air bubbles in the VAP, likely to happen after a flight. If so they should go away in a week or so as pressures equalize again.

Declan Smith
July 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Might it be air bubbles in the VAP, likely to happen after a flight. If so they should go away in a week or so as pressures equalize again.

It doesn't look like an air bubble. It's been there for a while, on the edge of the lens but has now moved onto the lens. Looks like a tiny bit of yellow fluff.

Don Palomaki
July 8th, 2006, 04:52 AM
If it is behind the front piece of glass it is possible to disassemble the camcorder to get to it, but that is a risky business best reserved to qualified camcorder technicians. A less qualified person could easily end up with a pile of camcorder parts.

Does the thing show up in the recorderd image?

Declan Smith
July 8th, 2006, 05:08 AM
If it is behind the front piece of glass it is possible to disassemble the camcorder to get to it, but that is a risky business best reserved to qualified camcorder technicians. A less qualified person could easily end up with a pile of camcorder parts.

Does the thing show up in the recorderd image?

You're probably right. My main concern is introducing more foreign obects into the lens if I take it apart.

It does show on the recorded image, depending on Zoom and light levels.

Tim Johnson
July 8th, 2006, 08:05 AM
It does show on the recorded image, depending on Zoom and light levels.

yeh it probably is a particle of something in the lens. light levels make me think as light levels are brighter its more visible, due to higher f number?

Wayne Masters
July 8th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Have the whole camera serviced at two year intervals.