View Full Version : Advertising?

Chris Hocking
July 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Has there always been advertising on the top right corner of DVi, or am I just going crazy?

Chris Hocking
July 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Also, I just noticed "global announcements"...

Chris Owen
July 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
What ads? You must be crazy .... ;)

It's been there for at least a little while (I'm new here though). I imagine this site costs Hurd at least a little to run - not so much for vBulletin, but for the time put into it and the traffic it generates (bandwidth). I think the ads are small enough to not get in your face or annoy anyone, but at least noticeable in case someone wants to click on one to support this site.

At least its just one ad in the corner and not all over the place - all along the top, all down one side, some annoying JavaScript hovering ad you have to click to close, etc. Some of my favorite sites have started using these tactics to pay for running the forums. I have started avoiding these like the plague and started to at least begin my purchases from a banner ad like the small ones above. I'll even sit and refresh a page here until the ad for the company I want shows up (like if I had already planned to buy something from BH Photo Video, etc).

Chris Hurd
July 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Chris Owen... you're my new favorite person. Much appreciated,

Ken Diewert
July 10th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Chris,

Don't worry. I too find the ads on this site very low key and completely appropriate.

Ken.

Chris Hocking
July 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Opps! I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining about the ads!

I have no problem with them at all!

I just don't remember ever seeing them before!

Ken Diewert
July 11th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Opps! I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining about the ads!

I have no problem with them at all!

I just don't remember ever seeing them before!

Chris,

No worries! if you haven't noticed them, I guess they're pretty subtle.