View Full Version : Commercial Signatures Verboten.

Chris Hurd
July 17th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately we've experienced a growing problem recently with commericial messages in post signatures, so it's now become neccessary to make it a policy: with the special exception of site sponsors and forum moderators, no commercial signatures are allowed. Please don't use your post signature to sell your wares. Thanks,

Chris Hurd
July 18th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Also... there's a few of you guys out there, whose sig files look like a paragraph. Please chop it down to a line or two. It looks odd when your post is one line and your sig is five lines... thanks in advance,

Emre Safak
July 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks so much, Chris. I hate sigs.

Michael Pace
July 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Chris, i'm on another forum (motorcycles) that also uses VBulletin, and it's somehow set up so that initial posts of the 'paragraph sigline' folks do show up, but all subsequent posts of the same user shows no user-defined sigline at all.
Just a thought, maybe there's a VBulletin admin preset that could help

MRP

Chris Hurd
July 19th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks Michael,

I'm aware of that hack, but I wish it would show the one-time sig in the most recent post instead of the initial post... otherwise people would say, what happened to my sig? But we might do that anyway. Thanks again,

Ian Stark
July 20th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Chris, before someone with less of a sense of humour points out the irony, note that your sig totals 6 lines!

Chris Hurd
July 20th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Good point, Ian! But I'm counting four lines and two of those are in smaller fonts. Might change it though, just to set the example as suggested.

Ian Stark
July 20th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Hey Chris! I was counting the blank lines as well! (You know I was only pulling your leg, doncha?!).

With nearly 14,000 posts to your credit I figure you are entitled to at least eight lines of signature!

Cheers.

Ian . . .

Chris Hurd
July 20th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Well now that I think about it, I've decided to change from:

Chris Hurd
San Marcos, TX

Search DV Info Net for quick answers | The best in the business: DV Info Net Sponsors

Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

to:

Search DV Info Net for quick answers | The best in the business: DV Info Net Sponsors

Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

My full name and location are on the left column anyway, gotta keep the Search / Sponsors thing, and most importantly, Tuesday is still Soylent Green Day.

Pete Bauer
July 20th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Well in spite of the fact that moderators (presumably including Mr. Hurd, who owns DVi) and sponsors are granted leeway by...well, the owner of the site...I just think it is outrageous that some guy on a video web site is hawking his Soylent Green product. ;-)~

EDIT:
PS: Next Tuesday I'll take two helpings of cross-posters and a bitter troll.

Chris Hurd
July 20th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Chuck Heston says, Green is the Food of the People.

Ian Stark
July 20th, 2006, 07:15 AM
That's why he's called Chuck

Jeff Sayre
July 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Come on, people! Doesn't anyone like Soylent Yellow anymore--pass the margarine.

George Ellis
July 23rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Chris, just so there is no confusion. A link to your own site is still allowed, correct?

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Sure George, but the preferable way to do this is to put the link in your profile, by going to Controls > Edit Profile > Home Page URL.

Ray Boltz
July 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM
If all of this is about the movie.......It was excellent! I used to have a T-Shirt that said "Eat Soylent Green, it's better than spinach".

Chris Hurd
July 25th, 2006, 02:37 AM
A great performance by Edward G. Robinson... too bad it was his last.

Mark Utley
July 25th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I think a good way to spread the word about this new rule would be for everyone to put lengthy messages in their signatures detailing the new change. Oh wait...

(this is almost as bad as the time when I had no way to tell the public about my resent for picket signs)

Pete Bauer
July 25th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Ahhh, it's Tuesday and I've awakened with quite an appetite. Shall we process Mark and his very early-morning wit first? ;-)

Boyd Ostroff
July 25th, 2006, 06:40 AM
A great performance by Edward G. Robinson... too bad it was his last.

Since we've already drifted so far off-topic... that is one of my favorite films. Watch the feature on the DVD with the party they threw for Edward G. Robinson on the set. It's very bittersweet, as was his performance in the movie. He was dying of cancer during the filming and knew he didn't have very long left which makes his "going home" scene very powerful for me...

Stephen Claus
July 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I just added "Soylent Green" to my Netflix Queue! I've never seen all of it.

Andrew Wills
August 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Guilty as charged Chris, signature adjusted to null.

Rob Lohman
August 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your understanding Andrew!