View Full Version : User Location Map

Steven Davis
July 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Hey Chris,

Have you thought about maybe putting a world map of members locations. I'm sure it would require some type of flash or something, or it could be a simple sort by state/country listing.

I think this would be helpful for us who want to network. You could probably make this section for established posters.

This was just a thought.

Boyd Ostroff
July 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I believe the location question has come up before, but I'm pretty sure that's just a text field and people can type anything they want in there so it would be tough to use it on a map.

But while we're on the subject of locations, please everyone: take a minute to enter you location if you haven't done so already. Click on the "controls" link in the blue bar and go to your profile and enter you city/state/country. It really helps us put things in context when you ask questions.

Chris Hurd
July 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Steven, it's a good idea and there are hacks that can do it, but there is a big limitation in that it calculates location by IP address, so everybody here who logs in from AOL would show up in West Virginia, or wherever AOL is. Same thing with Yahoo.

Like Boyd, I'd be happy if our folks just took the time to fill in the location field in their user profile!

K. Forman
July 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM
there was another board I hang out at, that uses a map. But it is based on locations entered, not IPs. If you add your name and that you're from Boston, your name will pop up when the user mouses over Boston... or close to it.

Steven Davis
July 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM
If you add your name and that you're from Boston, your name will pop up when the user mouses over Boston... or close to it.

Yeah that.