View Full Version : Anderson Cooper uses a Sony A1U?

Michael Wisniewski
July 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Couldn't help noticing in the CNN promos for Anderson Cooper in Beirut, they showed him holding what looks like an A1U. Can anyone confirm, deny, or at the very least have a theory?

Yeah, it is my day off today, and I'm feeling a little geeky.

Stu Holmes
July 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Yes thatd be good to know.

I remember watching Anderson covering Katrina last year and there was a shot of him in a boat and he was filming with a cam and i'm pretty sure it was a PD170, but that was last year, so maybe he's gone HiDef then.

He's actually a pretty experienced guy at filming himself - thats howhe started off years ago, went off to Global troublspots with a videocamera and did reportage as a one-man band. He knows how to use a vidcam for sure.

Frank Granovski
July 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
You could always e-mail him to ask.

Riley Harmon
July 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM
his friend made him a fake press pass and he went off by himself. he looked so pro, they hired him up, and yes its a pd170

Nicholas Natteau
July 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know if he's filming in HDV or in DV??? I would imagine he's filming in DV since HDV takes so much time to log and capture given the 2-3 second lag between the HDV camera and FCP. Speed being of the essence in that fast-paced ENG environment, I would assume he shoots everything DV and probably uses the A1 due to its light weight, small size and therefore discreet look. Just my humble opinion.

- Nicholas

Stu Holmes
July 30th, 2006, 08:10 PM
his friend made him a fake press pass and he went off by himself. he looked so pro, they hired him up, and yes its a pd170
I remember that story too about the press pass - i saw him interviewed on Larry King and he told it then. He does come across as being quite a humble /likeable sort of guy i think.

On the PD170, he definitely USED to use a PD170 himself, but someone thought they saw him using an A1U ? I'd imagine that he personally owns both and probably other machines too.