View Full Version : Episode 7 is out!

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Friday at 9:36pm Episode 7 went live.
This week we present Richard Mall (key grip) and Jeff Murrell (gaffer). Jeff And Richard are veterans of the business and worked with DP David Tattersal who shot, among other things, the last 3 Star Wars, Con Air, and The Green Mile.

This episode is jam-packed with technical information and business insights. We will have part 2 of the interview next week.

Enjoy!

Gabriel Yeager
August 5th, 2006, 10:29 AM
What channel is your show one? And what time (West coast)? I would love to be able to see your stuff! Or better yet, do you have a web site that I can watch it on? Thanks.

Gabriel.

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Gabriel- They are a webcast, and the addy is www.2nd-unit.tv . This is where you would find all of their episodes... except the new one.

Paulo- The link to this weeks epi are bad. What a cruel twist of fate!

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Thank you for catching it, I'll fix it right away.

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'm waiting... literally. ;)

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM
OK, it's working now, sorry for the inconvenience.

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM
We'll consider that a teaser post :)

Steven Gotz
August 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
#7 is still not working.

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 12:12 PM
It works, I just watched it. Try opening the home page and refreshing the browser.

I think this was the best to date, despite the hazzards of a working environment for a set. Jamie had a nice shirt on, the shots and lighting awesome. Fantastic show guys!

Steven Gotz
August 5th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I am getting a "Page not found" message.

Edit: I checked the source for episode 5 and used the same link to the original file with a change from 05 to 06 and it found it.

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I am getting a "Page not found" message.

Edit: I checked the source for episode 5 and used the same link to the original file with a change from 05 to 06 and it found it.
Steven, just click on "Week 6 Episode" at the top of the main page, it works without hacking :)
If not, try refreshing. BTW, use of Firefox is strongly encouraged.

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I think this was the best to date, despite the hazzards of a working environment for a set.

Thank you Keith, I too like is for its great content. Lighting was all done with LitePanels. Look-wise, I kept a colder, grittier look to match the kind of environment (industrial, fluos etc).

Glad you liked it. There will be more next week.

Steven Gotz
August 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I hate firefox. Sorry. It isn't ready for primetime. In any case, since episode 5 works, so should episode 6. I am not the only person with this problem.

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Paolo, it was so spot on that when they were describing the job titles, I wondered if I would ever find out exactly what the hell a best boy really was. I don't have to use my imagination any more. So many times I was way off, trying to guess why he was the best boy, and now I know :)

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I hate firefox. Sorry. It isn't ready for primetime. In any case, since episode 5 works, so should episode 6. I am not the only person with this problem.
If it works for me, it should work for you. Because of Murphy, nothing ever works for me.

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
It isn't ready for primetime.
Total disagreement on this, especially because I used it on Mac and Windows and Linux. 200 Million users for Firefox seems to agree.

Anyway, this forum is not about browser wars and I definitely want to make "2nd Unit" viewable for as many people as possible. We test the code on IE 6.x Windows, FireFox Windows, FireFox Macintosh and, occasionally, Safari (Mac OS of course).
What do you use for browsing?

Steven Gotz
August 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM
It works now. You changed something or there was a server glitch.

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I bet you had the bad link in your cache. Refresh often helps.

Steven Gotz
August 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Give me a break Keith. I cleared the cache. I wasn't the only one with a problem.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=523476#post523476

K. Forman
August 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Just a thought. It took a few tries after Paolo fixed it, but it worked. And I was also the first to point out it didn't work.

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Steven, it seems to me that we are talking about two different things here. One is the link to this week's episode, the one at the top of the page. The other was the broken link to Episode 6, last week's video, that was listed in the archives page. And that was what Patricia referred to. The link at the top of the main menu was fixed when I posted that I fixed it and Keith was perfectly correct.

Chris Forbes
August 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Paolo, thanks for all you do. I just watched the show, great stuff.

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Thank you Chris, glad you liked it.

George David
August 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I just watched the last 3 shows one right after the other this evening (Today is catch-up day). What a nice weekend treat :-) Paolo, again great editing job. I love how you are switching between cameras - very natural and as Jody would say, "It doesn't get in the way of the story". Very awesome job!!!

Thanks again to Jonathan, Paolo, Jaime and tons of others.

Jonathan, $1 million budget, huh? I've been curious all this time how much you guys are spending. Not only are you the producer/filmmaker, but you are also the executive producer, right? That is just so overwhelmingly great of you to do this!!!

Paolo Ciccone
August 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM
great editing job. I love how you are switching between cameras - very natural
Thank you George, it means a lot to get this kind of comments. I remember one of our first meetings between Jonathan and I, when I asked to edit the show and how I mentioned that I tend to like straight cut instead of crossfades. It's harder to make a cut work without the transition but I really like the pace that it creates, I'm glad it works. Kinda hard to judge your own work :)

Once again, I'm glad that you guy and gals are enjoyining it, this is all that matters. BTW, next week we will have part 2 of Jeff and Richard but the episode following that is gonna be really awesome.

Jeff Sayre
August 8th, 2006, 12:27 PM
2nd Unit Team:

Congratulations on another great episode! The production values continue to improve each week.

Jonathan, nice job on the audio. You're getting better!

Paolo, once again, great job on editing and encoding.

Jaime, this is your best episode. You politely took control of the interview and guided it in a meaningful direction. Great job!

One comment for Jaime--and it is a minor nit pick. The crumbled, yellow piece of paper you used for your notes has got to go. At one time while watching, my eyes locked on that paper and all I could do was think about that paper because it was crumbled up. It brought me out of the moment. I suggest either a nice, unfolded clean piece of paper, a leather portfolio with a pad in it, or a small, cloth-bound, pocket-sized notebook. Any of those three would look more professional. But, that's just my opinion and again it is a minor point.

All in all, this is the best episode yet. The content, production values, and Jaime's growing interviewing skills all added up to make it a worthwhile viewing experience.

Paolo Ciccone
August 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Jeff.

Thanks! Glad you liked it. The second part is coming up this friday and then we will have Episode 9, initially scheduled to be EP-08, where we have some great production values and some amazing lighting equipment.

Jonathan Ames
August 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I'm having my episodes with Jaime and his "cheat sheet", guys!!! I'll get rid of that darned paper if it's the last thing I do. Other than that, I join Paolo in saying we're glad you like it. It should be even better now that the website is evolving via some talented people and Abobe's Dreamweaver...and me getting out of the real talent's way and just producing.