View Full Version : DVC30 OS Display

Bruce Williams
August 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
My DVC30 is now a week old, and great. One thing that puzzles me is why it does not record (and therefore display) on the data track the MODE (Manual/Auto) or the SHUTTER SPEED. I have had a search back through the forum, and if there has been an explanation already, I missed it.
My GS400 supplies all the info for the OSD. Why does the DVC30 not do so?
There are times when I want to check what shutter speed, particularly, was used in a shot. All my Sony gear supplies all the info, except for those tapes recorded on the DVC30. Why did Panasonic change the pattern?
Bruce Williams

Bogdan Vaglarov
August 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Hmm, are you shure GS400 records that info as well?
Long time ago I used Sony TRV-10 and I've got used to what you say - you could check the shutter, gain, etc.
I miss this info on my GS100 - simply the Pany cam's software doesn't record it I guess :(

Jeffrey Lovell
August 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Bruce,

I record in manual all the time with my 30 and the display always shows the shutter setting and if I press in the thumb wheel I see the iris setting and can adjust it.

On playback if I remember right all the info it there on the display too, either than or I press the mode check button and it shows. Don't have it next to me right now.

These 2 setting don't display in AUTO.

Jeff Lovell
Created Design Video

Bruce Williams
August 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
Jeff, I use Manual all the time. While in 'record' mode the information is there in the OSD, but the two settings I referred to earlier are missing from the VCR mode.
That same tape, when played in my Sony gear, does not show the missing information, which means that my 30 has not recorded it.
On p.65 of the Operating Instructions, under the head "VCR mode only" is a view of the what I actually see: no "Mnl" or shutter speed, as seen on the full view on p.62.
Yes, Bogdan, my GS400 does record and display the full info.

Another peculiarity: the OSD does not operate when the VCR is stopped. All my other gear shows the tape status when stopped - t/c, battery status, data settings, the lot. But not the 30, which shows a black screen. I found that the only way I can f/fwd or rewind to any required point is by using the Index function, which immediately brings up the OSD.
My camera is PAL, was bought here in Australia.
Any other Australians, please jump in here.

Bruce Williams

PS: I hadn't mentioned that the problem mentioned in that last paragraph only occurs when the 30 is connected to a tv. BW