View Full Version : ND filter causes LCD to go black

Terry Arnold
August 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Big problem, need immediate solution. Going 8 days to Kodiak Ak, leaving the 28th, so don't really have time to send to Canon. When I turn on the ND filter, or switch on manual focus about half of the time, the eyepiece/LCD fades to real dark or goes black. Seems like turning unit off/on makes it go away for now. Any suggestions PLEASE!

David Ennis
August 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
For flukey behavior like that I'd try removing the button cell battery to force a "cold boot" of the cam's electronics.

Terry Arnold
August 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM
OK, tried that and it WORKED,(so far). Now if you can tell me how to get my equipment on as hand carry, I'll be really appreciative. I'm checking other forums and it dosn't look good for two backpacks of gear to get in my overhead bin:( Maybe by the end of the month some since will be made of this and every body will calm down.

Benjamin Hill
August 14th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I fly with my DV gear quite a bit. Since I'm limited to one carry-on and one backpack or bag, I usually carry on my DVX100 in snug Petrol bag (it meets carry-on size requirements) and my PowerBook in a Targus backpack.

A tripod would have to be pretty small to carry on- I put my Bogen along with 2 chimeras/stands & a few other things in an SKB case built for flying golf clubs and check that, along with a canvas "grip" bag full of cables, clamps, etc. I usually fly with a partner so they check our luggage bags.

When I have to bring more than this (backdrops, grip stuff) I ship it UPS both ways.

It's worked so far; it's a pain in the neck to fly with or without equipment. If your GL2 is in a small bag you can carry it on fine.

Terry Arnold
August 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Spoke too soon, the black out w/ND filter on is back again. Any other ideas?

What I was refering to on airline travel, is the current situation where electronic gear is being required to be checked.

Benjamin Hill
August 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Not required to check if you can carry it on within the dimensional restrictions & item limit.

Terry Arnold
August 31st, 2006, 10:14 AM
Well, we're in Kodiak. Camera worked fine for about 15 min. Got on the float plane, filmed takeoff and every thing went black AGAIN! Real quirky, turn it off for a few min, remove all bateries, film for 30 sec and black again. Seems to do it with ND filter on or off. Must be something loose inside?? It seems like these things are real good by some folk and real not so good by others. Guess it will go back to Canon when we get back. Real bummer this go.