View Full Version : Anyone using Flip4Mac XDCAM plugin?

Warren Shultz
August 17th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm looking for issues and effectiveness of the plug-in. Does it break timecode? Any file size limitations?

Thanks,

Warren

Nate Weaver
August 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I guess my question is, are there any reasons to use it now that Sony released their software?

My brief testing with it showed that it was close, but had issues. Timecode breaks are moot with XDCAM, btw.

[edit: I see, I just saw your other thread and you're hoping to use 35mbit material thru the Flip plug. When I had tested the plug, it was creating Quicktimes with odd dimensions, and sometimes odd audio channel configuarations, but basically it worked. I would have issues paying $500 for it though, especially since you'd probably only ever use it on one job]

Warren Shultz
August 17th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Due to the urgency of the project, the client (a local NBC affiliate) popped for the Flip4Mac since it worked and would do the 35 Mb while the Sony wouldn't. I could only get it to work by copying the files over to the RAID and then converting them with F4M. At least I didn't have to buy it!

The only issue I've come across that I can't solve is one 13 GB XDCAM file that Flip4Mac quits at exactly the same point--3.93 GB each time. I'm wondering if there's a quirk with a 4 GB limit. Have you had problems with large clip sizes?

Nate Weaver
August 18th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I didn't buy it or test it for any longer than a night.

OS X doesn't really have issues with file sizes bigger than X size, so it sounds like a bug to me.