View Full Version : Audio-Technica ATR-55 Shotgun Mic

Chris Wax
March 7th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Does anybody have any experience with this cheapie shotgun mic. Basically I have a GL1 with a bad on board mic (lots of motor hum). Just looking for a cheap, better alternative. Let me hear your thoughts.

Nathan Gifford
March 7th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I am not familar with that AT. Here is a good article on shotgun mics (http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html) by LAFCPUG. If nothing else, it will be a primer on shotgun techniques and operation.

I think the general recommendation on the low price end is the AT-835.

Bud Kuenzli
March 8th, 2003, 01:17 AM
based on that article and the recommendation of a friend I have a sgm-2x on order. I'll get an xlr connector soon but for the moment i just got an xlr-> mini cable since it's all just home video at the moment.

Alex Dunn
May 27th, 2003, 11:31 AM
I've heard great things about this mic. I recently worked with a sound guy that has done at least a dozen feature films, and in a pinch, he said the ATR55 worked great. In fact, he said that they did an entire movie with one.

Don Palomaki
May 27th, 2003, 05:21 PM
In general, with mics, price is a good indicator of quality in an absolute sense. However, there is little point in buying more quality than you need. That is where the decision proces scomes into play.

Do you want/need stereo?