March 10th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Overnight I tried exporting a 105 minute interview piece to MPEG-2, at CBR 5000, using the Canopus softMPG encoder within Premiere. The first attempt stalled at 39 minutes (of the piece) with an error message about increasing the page files(?-term may be incorrect - it was 2 am). I did as instructed. The second effort apparently stalled at 37 minutes, and must have crashed Premiere to the desktop because that's what I saw when I got up. The resulting file played fine for 15 minutes, then hung on one frame for a further 22 minutes. It was 1.37 GB in size.
This project is on a 120 GB LaCie external firewire drive, and has been successfully edited there including capture. The export was directed to the same drive. The system is a p4-1.8GHz with 512 MB of DDRSDRAM, Canopus DV Raptor, Premiere 6.02. I'm currently trying a 20 minute export to an internal video drive, to see if I can get past the 15 minutes that worked. Any thoughts are appreciated.
March 10th, 2003, 06:38 AM
It's just possible that I've answered my own question. The 20 minute test, exported from the external firewire drive to an internal video drive, functions perfectly. I'm now encoding the entire project, and in about four hours and twenty minutes I'll know for sure if this does the trick.
March 10th, 2003, 08:13 AM
No dice. The effort to encode the entire project quit at the same point, making the same file size. Only difference was this one had 16:18 of playable video before it hung on a frame for the remainder of the session, which ended as before with a crash to the desk top. Does the file size (1.37 GB) mean anything to anyone? It's no limit I've ever seen or heard of.
March 15th, 2003, 05:58 AM
I'm thinking about power saving. Check whether something shuts-
down after that period of time. You can find power saving options
in your Control Panel.
March 15th, 2003, 07:06 AM
As suggested earlier make sure none of the "green" power features are enabled on your box at all.
I don't know if this will help but it sure helped in my setup with the MC MPEG codec. It would never finish a render at all. Would always mysteriously abort leaving no tracks or traces.
I found this in the Adobe forums, you can search on Prem60.ini and see if you get some hits. It may be specific to 6.5 but might be worth looking into.
One such hit is: http://email@example.comSvIal.3@.1de82939/0
There are many more that could be related.
In the Prem60.ini file the following is added......
This solved my mysterious aborts and I haven't had a problem since. According to the forums, it doesn't appear to bother things even if you don't really need it. Might be worth a try.
Best of luck!
March 15th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks to Rob and Rob. My web pc has been down for nearly a week and I'm just reinstalling EVERYTHING this morning. I didn't solve the MPEG2 mystery but I did find a workaround. Export to DV, recapture in Raptor Video, seamlessly. Bring clips into Raptor Edit and export with the softMPG codec. The codec works twice as fast (not to mention working at all) in RapEdit as in Premiere 6.02, which makes the export to/capture from DV almost a wash in terms of time, and I coincidentally get my tape archive.